Chapter 36

"Draco." Only Draco was who I thought about now.

"Madeleine...I can't believe you're still alive. I-...I was wrong to-", Draco tried to say between breaths.

"It was my choice to leave. And to come to Hogwarts. I didn't want to be a coward forever." I explained. We were away from the fight, but that didn't mean we couldn't hear the battle of Hogwarts. The sounds of magic thundered throughout my ears, and inside I was trembling with fear.

"You're so brave Madeleine...Did you know that?"

"But compared to them...the other Gryffindors- I'm nothing."

"You're doing all you can."

"So are you." I told him.

There was a crash when the beam above us came down. "Wingardium leviosa!" I yelled as it hovered. It crashed into the wall as I threw it. I looked into Draco's eyes as I stood up. "I'm going to fight."

"NO!"

"They need me. And if I die fighting...I'll die for something I care about."

"You'll get killed!"

"Does it matter? If we lose, I'll be hunted anyways. There is no other choice. This is it, Draco. Fight or die. That is our only choice." I told him as I started towards the great hall. I ran, and didn't care if he was following me.

As I ran into the Great Hall, I saw Yaxley slammed to the floor by George and Lee Jordan, saw Dolohov fall with a scream at Flitwick's hands, saw Walden Macnair thrown across the room by Hagrid, hit the stone wall opposite, and slide unconscious to the ground. Ron and Neville were bringing down Fenrir Greyback, Aberforth Stunning Rookwood, Arthur and Percy flooring Thicknesse, and Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy running through the crowd, not even attempting to fight, screaming for Draco. I saw my mother, Elise Van Alen, fighting an older Hufflepuff, while my father's bloodstained hands clutched his wand, attempting to aid Voldemort in fighting Kingsley Shacklebolt.

I caught a glimpse of my mother as I heard her scream. "Madeleine!" as she dropped her opponent and came running towards me. She had her Death Eater mask on, but no one could mistake her blond hair which was so fair it was almost white as snow.

I stopped in my tracks as she threw her slender arms around me, which were covered in blood. "Mother!" I cried.

"I thought you were dead! When you left...and oh, even Draco didn't even know what happened to you! Please Madeleine, don't ever scare me again." She wept. I blocked an incoming Cruciatus curse as I pushed my mother aside away from the fighting. She collapsed to the ground.

"Mother!"

"No, Madeleine. Forget me, I've been a horrible mother to you. Save yourself. Your father will probably die- if not -by the hands of Voldemort. Run, Madeleine." She told me.

But there was one problem. I couldn't.

And I left her, I left her as I joined the battle.

Voldemort was now dueling McGonagall, Slughorn, and Kingsley all at once, and there was a cold hatred in his face as they wove and ducked around him, unable to finish him–

Cousin Bellatrix was still fighing too, fifty yards away from Voldemort, and like her master she dueled four at once: Hermione, Ginny, Victoria, and Luna, all battling their hardest, but Bellatrix was equal to them, and my and Harry's attention were diverted as a Killing Curse shot so close to Ginny that she missed death by an inch –

He changed course, running at Bellatrix rather than Voldemort, but before he had gone a few steps he was knocked sideways. I ran too, on the opposite side of Harry, trying to help my friends when,