Chapter 15

"Aren't you supposed to dress up to the Halloween Ball?" A confused fourth year asked me in the hallway.

"As what? A witch...Puh-lease. The Balls at Hogwarts are formal...now scram!" I told the kid as he ran away.

"You know, you really shouldn't do that..." Hermione told me.

"Whatever. We got pushed around when we were fourth years too..." I said as I was whirled around by Ron. "Uh, hey?" I said.

"Hi, Maddie." He said, mouthing "go away" to Hermione.

"Look at what you did!" I scolded.

"I was going to ask you something..." He said. Oh brother...not the dance, not the dance, not the dance.

"Please don't ask me to the Ball..." I groaned.

Ron looked surprised for a second...Then burst out laughing! "You? Sorry, Maddie, but I wasn't going to ask you to the dance." He exclaimed with a haughty laugh.

"Oh thanks Ron." I said sarcastically. Thank gawd!

"I was going to ask you if you think that 'Mione would want to go with me..." He said.

I pushed Ron out of the way of the other students into a secluded place within the corridor. "Of course, you delinquent!"

"So...you know, uh...should I ask...Hermione?"

"Yes, for crying out loud! Ask her!" I exclaimed. "I need to get to my Arithmancy class...scram!" I said jokingly as Ron "scram"ed out of the way. Arithmancy was a subject I enjoyed greatly. Only Hermione and I took it, because numbers and numerology were apparently "too much" for their brains. On my way to lunch, Harry spotted me in the corridor.

"Hi, Harry." I said.

"Hey Madeleine..." He stopped. "Uh, Madeleine..." He asked me shyly. "Do you want to go to the Halloween Ball with uh...me?"

I was at a loss for words. Harry? Ask me? He was my best friend, I guess that can't hurt. I loved Harry- just in a brotherly way.

"Sure." I said...very unsure. "It'll be fun...I guess."

"What's wrong?" He asked me. "You don't seem so sure."

"Oh, nothing. I just...I don't like Balls."

"Why?" He asked.

"No reason. I just don't see why you would want to go..." I cringed, "Dancing."

"You went to the Yule Ball." He said. "With George."

"Thats because you were the Tri-Wizard Champion! I had to be there for you! Plus, Victoria was sick so she couldn't go with him!"

"Okay, okay..."

"Whatever. If my friends are there, I'm sure it'll be fun." I said. Oh, I was sure all right. But I wasn't. The truth was that I really wanted to go with Malfoy. But I couldn't. It was virtually impossible for us to go the the Ball together, let alone, dance together. Harry was nice. I liked Harry, really, I did. But for once in my life, I'd like to go with someone who actually like liked me. Like a boyfriend.

"So...you'll go with me?" He asked again.

"Of course I will." I said as I sat down to eat my lunch. I spotted Draco at the Slytherin table. He looked nice, with his platinum blond hair and blue-grey eyes. But he was laughing with the Slytherin girls. Pansy, Millicent, Daphne and some others were all around him, Pansy grabbed his arm as they all argued who Draco would take to the Ball, while he sat there gloating in their midst. Wow, what a life!