Chapter 12

Draco Malfoy. Draco Malfoy. Wait, stop thinking about Draco Malfoy. He's just a...never mind. Detention with Snape wasn't actually that bad. Sorting porcupine quills from hedgehog quills was hard, I admit, but after spending time with Malfoy, well, I think there might just be a tiny shard of light in him. Harry, Hermione, and Ron were actually quite surprised at how well I did with Snape.

"Of all the years I've been with you at Hogwarts..." Hermione started.

"What's wrong with you! Usually after detention with Snape, you...you hallucinate like you're insane!" Ron exclaimed.

"Hmm...People can change." I said truthfully.

"But not Madeleine Van Alen!" Ron shouted in frustration from my actions. But why was he like this. It wasn't Snape's attitude towards me that made me happy, no...it was Draco Malfoy's. But why would I ever tell the 'Golden Trio' that I possibly had...stirrings...no, feelings for the git?

"Whatever, guys. He made me miss out on my Quidditch game." I sighed.

"That we won!" Harry exclaimed.

"Are you possibly saying that Demelza Robins is a better Chaser than me?" I joked.

"No...Just that we could've done better if I was-"

"Oh come on, Maddie...We know you better than that! What happened during your tutoring with the Slytherins?" Hermione asked suspiciously.

"N-...Nothing! I hated it, as usual. I just didn't want to show Snape that I was weak! Puh-lease! You're acting as though I've sided with a Death Eater!"

"...Sorry..." Ron said.

"We didn't mean it that way." Harry said calmly. My friends knew that my parents were Death Eaters, and that I didn't want to be one, and I would never be one. And how my parents wanted to disown me because Victoria and I were in Gryffindor instead of Slytherin, like the rest of my family. So whenever they talk about me associating with Death Eaters, well, it's hard.

"Fine. Just don't talk about it. You know me...I hate them. All of them." I said.

"Good." Hermione said.

"I think Malfoy is up to something, guys. He's always skipping class and stuff, it's kind of worrying me..." Harry implied.

"Oh come on, Harry! He's probably just hanging around..." Hermione argued.

"Whatever. I don't even care about that asshole anymore." I lied. I hated lying to my friends about Draco, but they can't possibly know. It would be absolutely terrible.

"Well we're going to Hogsmeade tomorrow, have your parents signed your form?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah, sure. Maybe get some new stuff at Zonko's...Honeydukes maybe."

"Well we're getting butterbeers as usual, so why don't you join us?" Ron asked.

"Uh, well...I need to meet someone. It's nothing, really...I'll meet you at the Three Broomsticks later, of course."

"Who are you meeting?" Hermione asked.

"A family friend. One of those...you know..." I said, implying Death Eaters.

"Oh, okay." Harry said. The trio usually kept out of my business when it came to Death Eaters. They knew that I wasn't supposed to be 'friends' with Harry Potter, so my friends just stayed out of my way. It was for their safety...And mine. But I had lied again...It wasn't a Death Eater that I was meeting, no...It was Draco Malfoy. He'd asked me to meet him at the Shrieking Shack in Hogsmeade, and I don't know why I had said it, but...I had accepted.