Chapter 28

The pain was intolerable. I couldn't feel the inside of my left wrist at all. He muttered something in Parseltongue. The pain...Now I knew exactly what Draco was going though. Something worse. We were in a room, lined up with all of the Death Eaters. Draco was forced to watch. But I could see that the look in his eyes was...was paining him. It hurt both of us.

"Now, tell me, since you are of age, Miss Van Alen...Where is Harry Potter?" The Dark Lord asked. He more like hissed, not asked. It was in fact, a bit weird.

"H- Hogwarts." I tried to say.

"Hogwarts...what?"

"Hogwarts...Master." I said.

"Good. What should I know...?" He pondered. "Ah, does Harry know where my horcruxes are?" He asked me.

"..." I didn't know what to say.

"Answer me..." He commanded.

"Yes." It was true. Harry had told me everything after Slughorn apparently spilled the beans to him when he visited Aragog's funeral a couple of weeks ago.

"And has he destroyed any?" He snapped.

"The diary...He destroyed your diary, in the Second year. And a ring...a ring..." I stammered.

"Don't show weakness. This is your future. Get up." He told me, as I walked over to Draco. I held his arm tightly, the sight of this appealed the Dark Lord immensely. "Love. Is it?" He suspected. His Legilimency ran straight through Draco. But not me, I was a fair Occlumensist. "Love is not real. Power...now Power is what makes us stronger, Malfoy." He stared at him.

"My Lord." I requested to speak.

"Van Alen..." He hissed.

"May I ask of you something." He didn't reply, he just turned around, where I gazed into his blood red, power-thirsty eyes. "I would like to assist Draco in the assassination of Albus Dumbledore." I asked.

"I admire your bloodlust, Madeleine." He said as this was the very first time I had ever heard him call my name. "But this...is Draco's task. You'll have many more opportunities, little Gryffindor." He hissed.

"Yes, My Lord." I replied. The tattoo was beautiful, I must admit. But it wasn't me...it wasn't me. I didn't know what I was doing. Death Eaters. Voldemort. Dumbledore. Gryffindor. It didn't fit into place.

When I got back from break, I knew right away that something was wrong. I wore long sleeves now, even on weekends, and wouldn't show anyone the tattoo of death unless it was Malfoy. I didn't hang out with the other Slytherins, or any Gryffindors. I sat in the library, with Luna mostly, just reading. Life was boring. Ron had the pleasure of snogging Lavender Brown these days, Gryffindor prevailed against Slytherin, and even Malfoy didn't care, something I wasn't used to.

Hermione was pissed at the sight of Lavender and Ron, Harry didn't seem too interested. Yeah I thought, Life sucks for me too.

"I think it's almost finished." Draco told me, one evening that we were working on the vanishing cabinet in the Room of Requirement.

"I think so too. Did the bird come back from Borgin's?" I asked.

"Yes, and...Mr. Borgin proved that it works. He killed it." He told me as I bent over to look at the bloody, white dove that lay helplessly in the cabinet.

"Or something." I said.

"Do...Do you think that he'll be pleased?" Draco asked me.

"Pleased with what? This? Pleased, maybe. But not impressed...The Dark Lord is never impressed." I told him.