***

The Claret House was off to the back edge of the town, purposely placed to give its guests some privacy. This location also served the werewolf owners well, as they could approach from the outskirts of town and enter the house without ever disturbing the citizens.

Hoseok was glad for his mate's forethought as he saw the small trail they had forged coming and going from the house. However, his thankfulness was short-lived as he caught the scent of the one whom he adored with all of his heart, soul, and mind.

He let out a choked cry as he sped faster towards the house.

"Alpha, wait!" shouted Jungkook. "We need to make sure it's safe before we enter!"

But Hoseok could not be reasoned with. All his fellows could do was follow him and be prepared for an ambush that could be waiting for them.

Taehyung sped forward, arriving at the house before the rest. His nose curled at the stench of Hunter and death. But there was another scent that made him narrow his eyes. As he flashed from room to room, he found them all empty of any persons.

Knowing the house was secure, he relaxed and followed the cries of the three wolves out to the back deck. His heart sank as he saw the body of the pack's Luna lying on the deck. He stood quietly at the doorway, giving the pack members their space.

"No, I didn't want to believe it," choked Hoseok, his nose nuzzling gray fur around Ga-Eun's neck.

Jimin and Jungkook lowered their bodies to the deck floor, their heads lowered in grief. Their sorrow was not just for their pack, but also their friend and brother.

Hoseok nosed around her body until he found the gunshot wound and his body staggered and slumped down to the floor. His shoulders heaved up and down, shaking with every sob.

Words would not come. The only sound he could make was a howl, long and sorrowful. Every note flooded with the broken-hearted cries of an alpha who was alone again.

Taehyung watched with a pained expression as Jungkook and Jimin joined in. They were expressing their grief alongside their alpha's and it sent chills up Taehyung's spine.

He quietly stepped back into the house and looked for clues while the wolves worked out some of their grief. As he stepped through the kitchen he saw three sets of dishes and silverware in the sink and two mugs on the table. He dipped his finger into the remaining brown liquid and felt that it was still slightly warm.

His eyes darted around the room and he quickly moved to the hallway and entered the first room. Disheveled sheets and empty alcohol bottles piqued his interest, but that was all he found there. The second room was a bit tidier but the bed had been slept in. Both rooms reeked of Hunter, but this room held a faintly familiar scent.

He rushed towards the bed and lifted a pillow to his nose. His anger flourished as he recognized the smell. As he looked over the bed for more clues, he saw a notebook barely peeking out from between the mattress and bedsprings. Jerking it out, he glanced through and found it belonged to the woman staying at his cabin.

His heart began to race and his eyes darted about with a newfound fear.

He ran to the last room and found it destroyed. He fished through the torn papers and found more of Jaci's work. The bed was shredded and the curtains as well. Even Jaci's clothing had been shredded and strewn around the room. Someone obviously had a grudge.

But now he knew who one of the Hunters were and knowing the man had a connection to the injured human-made Taehyung bristle with worry.

He barged back out to the deck and found the wolves still mourning. He understood their hurt and pain, but at the same time, his wife could be in danger.