C H A P T E R T H I R T Y- O N E

Start from the beginning

All Xante desired was something to hold on to.

"So, how is she doing?" Xante inquired to the doctors as he studied a sleeping Chidinma, the low beep of machines serenading his words

"So, how is she doing?" Xante inquired to the doctors as he studied a sleeping Chidinma, the low beep of machines serenading his words. Chioma sat in the chair next to her sister, amber eyes swollen and red with tears from their crying session, attentive to Xante's conversation with the Medical Director of the hospital.

The medical director nodded and replied, tone mechanholy, "Chidinma took quite the fall, didn't she? Unfortunately, the MRI showed significant swelling in the cerebrum, especially the frontal lobe. We want to induce a medical coma in Dr. Deliano for about a month. This ensures that the swelling has time to reduce and the damaged tissue in her vena cava has time to heal,"

Xante flashed a look at Imani, the only other medical professional in the room, who was throwing her brown locks in a ponytail, "Is this the best course of action, Imani?"

She took a deep breath, and took a look at Chidinma, and back down at the chart that she had demanded from the doctors to assess Chidinma's case. Quietly with a tired smile, she nodded, and croaked, "Yeah. We could undergo surgery, but we have to think of the baby. A barbiturate coma with a slow-administered IV would be the option with the least risk,"

Xante sighed, "Okay, let's do it th-"

"But," Imani interrupted somberly, as she looked down at the chart once more, "There are risks. While she would no longer be at risk for intracranial hypertension since Chidinma's heart has tissue damage, cardiovascular depression could develop and she might be at risk for some lung infections as well,"

Chioma looked up and inquired, fear in her gaze, "What does that mean?"

"It means that if she is not monitored carefully, Chidinma's heart could slow so much that either part of her body no longer receives blood flow or it stops completely," Imani reasoned. Xante took a breath and closed his eyes, exhausted.

What should I do, Alessandro? You promised me she would not die, Xante pleaded in his head and in response, he heard the demon's low hum.

Put her in a coma. If she goes into that operating room for anything, she will not make it out alive, Alessandro replied Xante opened his eyes once more, gray orbs observing the doctors and he took a shaky breath.

"Put her in a coma," Xante announced and the doctors nodded and gestured for more nurses to come in with the dose of barbiturate. The three individuals watched and the doctors drew a dosage of the medicine into a syringe and placed it in Chidinma's IV machine, setting it to a slow stream. The fluid gradually moved in the clear tube inserted into the back of Chidinma's bony hand.

Xante took a seat on the couch and removed his shoes. He looked towards the TV screen which showcased the local Italian news and the date. November 2nd.

"It's November 2nd already?" Chioma asked, looking at the TV with a small smile on her face. Xante looked down at his fingers and decided that it was time to wash them. He headed towards the sink in the bathroom, refusing to look at his appearance as the water washed away the physical blood on his hands. The blood moved towards the drain, staining the pristine ceramic as he harshly scrubbed soap into his fingernails.

If only I can wash away all my sins.

Do you want to?

Xante dried his hands, rubbed raw and scrubbed bright red from his efforts, and entered the large room to see Chioma holding a dark, glossy wooden box in her hands with a small smile.

"What is that?"

She held up the box earnestly, trying to give him a large grin but her face strained and her brown eyes did not light up, "Happy belated birthday, Xante,"

Oh, his birthday was last week. Xante had no official emotion about his 31st year on this planet. All he had wanted that week was to ensure that Chidinma was found. Grabbing the box gently, he took notice of the Patek Philippe label inscribed on the box. Xante flipped it open to see the $36,000 Patek Philippe Twenty-4 Automatic set with diamonds and a gray dial. He had three just like it.

Xante was about to kindly reject the gift as it was coming from Chidinma's sister, which seemed highly inappropriate when Chioma spoke again.

"I didn't actually buy it. Chidinma did,"

Suddenly, the gift held a lot more meaning. He stroked the diamond-set bezel in wonder and curiosity. Xante murmured, "How did she...?"

Chioma grinned, "She ordered it just before the wedding. She said, and I quote, 'He buys me expensive shit all the time. If he can spoil me, why can't I spoil him? If he treats me like a queen, why can't I treat him like a king' Every cent of that watch was bought with her money and it's custom,"

Xante's breath hitched as he lifted the watch off its velvet bed to admire the last gift Chidinma had given him. Then, he flipped it to view the back which held the inscription: You got your wife and I got my husband. Told you so. 25/10

Even in a coma, Chidinma was still having the last word, Xante thought with a scoff. He slid the watch on his tattooed wrist, closing the clasp, admiring how the silver accent complimented his inked hand.

"It's perfect. Thank you," Xante murmured and Chioma gave him a nod and turned her head back to Chidinma, whose slow breaths followed the automatic beep of the IV. His brows furrowed as he observed her distended belly, questions roaming through his mind.

"She will make it out of this," Chioma insisted, tone determined, "It's Chidinma. She has always been an overachiever. You'll see. In a month, she is going to get up and go back to LA and do it all wearing acrylics and a lace front. In a month, this will all be over,"

Xante just wished he believed her.

POSTED ON: THURSDAY 30TH MARCH 2023

second chapter. eeppp.

so, yes. chidinma is alive, which means she will be forgetting xante.

sad.

or not. i mean she gets to fall in love with xante (and his dick) all over again. and i am so down.

anyways. i think i have exhausted my medical knowledge which was received through watching new amsterdam on netflix (love that show btw)

and yes, even in a coma, chidinma is that bitch.

okay byeeee,

ada