STUCK WITH YOU

"Lee."

Sana advanced while picking up every rose that paved the way to her living room, "Lee," she gasped as someone's hands slid around her waist, "happy birthday, Sana."

All Sana saw in the darkroom was a cake with its candles.

"Lee, I told you I didn'tㅡ."

"But I wanted to," Lee kissed her on the cheek. Sana walked to her coffee table and knelt.

"Make a wish," Lee said. Sana smiled and blew her candles.

She was older, definitely not wiser, but a lot happier.

"I hope you're hungry."

"I am. Did you have a hard time getting in?" Sana asked.

"Nope."

Lee arrived earlier that afternoon; they had agreed he would sleep at her place. The rain battered hard. Sana didn't expect less on her birthday. She handed Lee her keys as she was at work, and she didn't wish for him to roam around Paris under the rain.

The man couldn't be content as it allowed him to prepare for her birthday. He went to Galeries Lafayette Gourmet and chose a cake from Yann Couvreur amongst the renowned bakers. Lee then went across the street to have a look for a gift.

Lee had absolutely no clue what he looked for; the man just hoped he would know when he saw it. Lee wished to find something Sana could keep with her.

He didn't want a gift that had an end like perfume or something superficial like a handbag that she'd fill and toss about.

Lee found himself roaming around the jewelers. A pendant, no, earrings. They would last; of course, she would switch from time to time, but at least Sana would always have them. It was not too engaging, but it had that attachment symbolic. The man's heart and mind agreed; he chose an ear climber and ear cuff. Sana liked piercings and anything modern though mismatched Lee believed she would like it. He took a gift receipt just in case; one never knew.

He was a guy; after all, he couldn't hope to hit it spot on every time.

For the meal, he thought it would be better to order what Sana preferred.

He ordered roses and asked for express delivery. The man was pretty proud of the arrangements he made.

And now Sana was stupefied to discover the setup.

"I can't believe it."

The man couldn't wait for her to discover her gift but decided to give it after their dinner, "what do you want to eat?"

"I've been thinking about Sushi all day."

"Okay, then sushi."

They ordered, and Sana went to take a shower while they waited. Under the showerhead, Sana recalled their messy beginnings once more. If her future self had dropped by to tell her she would celebrate her birthday with Lee, she would have knocked herself out with a punch while screaming, how can I still be this dumb.

Yet it wasn't horrible. It was even a terrific moment.

None of her former boyfriends ever considered her birthday. Winston worked, and the nurse was usually on the night shift. The present was always either something she already had or never hinted to want. Sana would politely feign to be happy with the perfume scent she detested.

The woman didn't know if Lee had a gift for her, and it didn't matter what he did was already enough. Sana comeback freshened up, and found the meal delivered and waiting.