Chapter 1: Employment Rate

Antonia Leighton

She desperately needed this job.

Please. Just this one time, I hope the odds are in my favor.

Help me. Was her fucking desperate mantra for weeks now. She had no other ace up her sleeve and her only other option made her gut churn with disgust.

Antonia exhaled a shaky breath, murmured another prayer.

Student loan was a bitch.

Mom was in the hospice battling cancer. The landlord had threatened to throw her out of her apartment if she failed to pay her overdue rental fees by the end of the month. Plus, she was running out of groceries. To top it off, she was almost out of gas in the middle of Los Angeles traffic.

What the actual fuck! Ain't I the unluckiest woman in the world?

It was Friday, her tenth job interview before the weekend. If she didn't ace this, she would have to start again on Monday. With her limited resources, she would have to improvise.

Her last option was to go back to dancing on polls at Cage Delight, lap danced on sweaty middle-aged randy bastards until the age of 30 but...fuck!

The thought alone made her tauten her hands on the stirring wheel of her beat-up beetle until her knuckles turned white.

Or maybe work two to three jobs to support her mother.

No! She was steadfast to give her best this time to pass this fucking interview. Her degree in Economics, graduating top of her class under full scholarship should have been enough. But apparently, these days one had to be well connected to be accepted in the corporate world. Females should also be especially beautiful, slutty sexy and down for anything to be accepted by perverts, the bosses, in this cut throat industry.

MJ's blessed intervention came just in time. Her only best friend had Toni's life figured out. Though two years younger, they connected right away after a dire incident at the alley of a strip club.

Grimacing at the memory, she tapped her fingers on the wheel. It was not a good one.

However, she made a mental note to call the unassuming princess later.

Glancing in the direction on her google map, she realized she was entering the Financial District of Los Angeles on South Broadway. The building she was looking for should be the tallest and newest one in the area.

AEP Real Estate Corporation. She nervously smiled in relief.

Found it. Now what?

The description itself didn't do justice to the all-glass elegant structural beauty of the building. She could just imagine how immaculate and grand it would be inside. Her palm moistened and she licked her dry lips.

She had to do this. Her other alternatives were dreadful to say the least.

Luckily, she found a neat spot in the parking area right away, giving her ample time to compose herself, checked her make-up, and re-read her lines. Every answer should be perfect and to the point. This was too important to mess up.

Okay, it's time.

Taking a deep shaky breath, she locked her car, squared her shoulders and walked to the entrance of the building.

The electronic glass doors opened for her and her confident steps faltered, taken aback by the splendor of the lobby. The most luxurious place she had ever been.

Oh, Gods! She was out of their league. 

Damn! Get a grip, Toni.

Okay. I can do this.