Cloud frowned. "You've been watching us?"

Domino nodded. "Indeed. You're lucky no one else has. You nearly got caught a few times, and not just on the way to the escalator. Walked right in front of half the security cameras in this place, too. But do you hear the alarm? No? You're welcome. So just think of me as your ace in the hole. Avalanche's man on the inside."

"Say what?" Barret blinked.

"Oh, come on," Domino sighed. "Is it really such a surprise? You've seen where they've put me and what they've reduced me to. The mayor of the greatest city in the world tucked away in a secret broom closet in the damned archives! The nerve!"

Barret grinned. "Well, this oughta make things easier."

"Mr. Mayor," I said. "When we were on the 60th floor, we did have a couple of close calls. But someone or something helped us out. It kept the guards distracted so we could sneak past them to the escalators. Do you know who or what that was?"

Domino chuckled. "Indeed I do, young lady. Unfortunately, I can't tell you. It's not for me to reveal that information. Let's just say that I'm not your only source of inside help."

I wasn't surprised. "I understand. Would you thank him for us? We really appreciate it, whoever he is."

"That I can do," he agreed. "But now let's direct our attention to the matter at hand. You need to break into Hojo's lab to free the Ancient. I can get you as far as the 65th floor."

"What? That's the best you can do?" Barret scowled.

Cloud stared. "But you're the mayor."

"Does this look like a mayor's office!?" Domino growled. "I'm just a glorified librarian, nothing more! I don't even get invited to their board meetings! Sorting records and reports—that's all I do! My fingers have more paper cuts than skin! No one knows my pain, my daily torment! I endure it all, though, for the sake of Midgar."

"Jus' calm down man, awright? Deep breaths," Barret said.

I folded my arms in front of me. "They've hurt you just like they've hurt us. We get that, Mr. Mayor. And we'll make it right. But we have a friend in need. Two of them, actually."

Domino took a breath and composed himself. "Yes, I know. While you were busy climbing the stairs, Marissa called me and explained the situation. Shinra may think they own me, but they don't. I just play the part of the doddering old fool to keep them off guard. I've seen to your escape route, and your transportation is ready."

"The Hardy?" Cloud asked.

"It's safely in place, along with another vehicle that I've secured for you," he said. "A light blue pickup. Mint condition, full tank of gas, and hardly any miles on it. You'll find it on the first floor lobby behind that large glass sign with the Shinra logo on it."

I breathed a sigh of relief. "Thanks. You have the keys?"

"I do," Domino answered. "However, you'll have to earn them and your ticket upstairs. Like I said in my letter, it's nothing difficult, just a small test. It'll take more than brawn to pull this mission off, so I want to see how clever you Avalanche folks really are."

"What is it?" Cloud wondered.

Domino went on. "It's quite simple, really. Just guess the password. Get it on the first try and I'll throw in something extra as well. A little item I swiped from the Weapons Development Division a while back. I suspect you can make more use of it than me."

Barret scowled. "How the hell we s'posedta do that?"

"There are four main libraries in the archives," Domino explained. "And my password is four letters long. I've had Hart take four volumes and mix them up, putting them in the wrong libraries. Your job will be to find them. Each contains a letter of the password in its title, and the shelf number will tell you which one."