21.

000d, 00h, 00m, 00s

It couldn't be because I was late.

Aiden was late all the time; I doubt he ever had to see even the head of his division for it. Never mind Mr Monroe, of all people.

It couldn't be that. But what else could it be, then?

Maybe they found out about Esmond. Maybe they knew all along and just waited for me to say something. And now that I didn't — after giving me months to do so — they finally deemed it necessary to intervene.

I wondered whether I should just come out with it as soon as I stepped through the door.

Hand trembling slightly, raised and waiting for me to knock on the door before me, I wondered about all those things; All those things and more.

I took a deep breath, swallowed thickly and then, without having prepared anything at all, I knocked. It was a timid knock, one so gentle it wouldn't surprise me if he hadn't even heard it.

Though, just as I went in to knock a second time — this one with a bit more force — the door opened all on its own, revealing Monroe leisurely sat in his chair behind his desk and in front of the window stretching across the entire wall behind him.

"Ah," He exclaimed, lips twitching into a polite smile. "Amidelle, sit— we agreed on Amidelle, yes?" He gestured towards the chair on the other side of his desk, a questioning look accompanying the question.

I nodded. "We did."

I walked over and sat without another word, head towards the ground. I made sure not to look him in the eyes. I was afraid it would all just come bubbling out, then.

He continued. "Have some water; you seem a little out of it," He offered, pushing the glass over to my side of the desk with a smile.

In any other circumstance, I would've probably politely declined. Though, now, with my mouth dry and the taste of bitter green tea on my tongue, I couldn't help it.

A grateful smile on my lips, I reached for it, enjoying the way the liquid hydrated my body and cleared my head.

"Tell me, Amidelle," He began casually, leaning back in his chair and taking a sip out of his own cup himself. "How did you feel about our meeting yesterday. Are you comfortable with the plans we suggested for further disciplinary action?"

His head tilted slightly, and I almost choked on the water running down my throat before quickly placing the glass on the desk again.

"I'm happy with them, sir," I quickly nodded. "I couldn't agree more with you on— well, anything you said, really." I was glad I didn't have to lie to him.

He smiled brightly, though his eyes remained sternly focused on mine. "You don't feel they're a bit... let's say, radical?" His brow lifted in interest, and I furrowed my mine at the suggestion.

"No, sir. Absolutely not,"

His head tilted to the other side just slightly. "You can be honest with us here at The System. We would love to hear your unfiltered opinion," He went on.

The suggestion made me shift in my seat uncomfortably, eyes darting through the large office to avoid his gaze.

"I am being honest, sir," I assured, my voice cracking halfway through the sentence. I cleared my throat. "I don't think it's at all... radical," I repeated, a little sterner. "Do you?"

He huffed in amusement at my question, shaking his head lightly. "No, of course I don't—" He quickly change the subject, then. "I don't think you've ever been late before, Amidelle."

"I haven't," I quickly agreed. "And I'm terribly sorry—" I interrupted myself, not quite sure whether he wanted to hear my reasoning and not quite sure whether I wanted to state it, either.

Though, he urged me to go on with a nod.

"Well, I stayed at my...—" I faltered in my words once more, thinking how to best go on. "—my boyfriend's house, and—"

He cut me off this time. "Your soulmates house?" He corrected, sitting upright in his chair, his arms going to lean on top of his desk. I nodded.

"Yes, sir. My soulmate's house." He nodded at the words and urged me to go on once more. "I simply miscalculated the time it took me to get here. It won't happen again, I promise." — I didn't just promise him that, but myself, as well.

I assured myself that simply keeping information from someone wasn't the equivalent of lying. Choosing not to disclose something wasn't the same as disclosing something that wasn't true.

It calmed my conscience; slightly, at least.

When he didn't say anything, I waited for another minute or so before breaking the rather uncomfortable silence.

"Am I in trouble?"

"Trouble?" He repeated, almost amused by the suggestion as he shook his head. "Why would you be in trouble, dear?" A small smile found its way to his face. "No, of course not."

It felt as if a weight had been lifted off my shoulders, and I couldn't keep myself from sighing in relief.

"Oh," I chuckled awkwardly, brows raised slightly as I looked at him. "Okay, then."

Why exactly was I here, then?

A stern knock, one a lot louder and a lot more forceful than mine was, kept me from elaborating on that thought, and I startled slightly at the sound.

Monroe sent me an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry for the interruption; it'll only be a minute, I'm sure." He said, opening the door to his office with the push of a button.

"Mr Monroe, sir. I'm here to escort you to your 10 AM meeting."

Brows raising, the man opposite of me seemed surprised, and his eyes darted onto the watch around his wrist.

"My god," He gasped, getting out of his chair as soon as he did. "Time does fly when you're having fun, doesn't it?" A singular laugh escaped his mouth. "I'm sure we'll get another chance to talk soon, Amidelle."

And with that, he ushered me out of his office before closing the door behind himself.

"Until then," He said with a nod before walking off.