9.

000d, 00h, 00m, 00s

"Miss Gray." My head snapped up at the mention of my name, brows knitting together as my eyes latched onto the person standing in front of me. They widened as soon as I recognised the neatly trimmed grey beard and sleeked back hair, meeting piercing blue eyes as they gave me a stern look.

"Sir," I all but flustered, jumping off my chair and regretting it immediately after. "Is there a problem, Mr Monroe?" I followed up, hands fidgeting with each other behind my back as I tried to collect myself.

A low rumble of a laugh escaped his lips, and he shook his head simultaneously. Straightening his signature-grey suit, he casually leaned against my desk, arms crossing in front of his chest.

It wasn't just me looking at him with a look of utter confusion now; half the office had their eyes on him, too. It wasn't every day the director of The System stepped foot in here.

The only times I saw him were when I documented their weekly meetings.

So, there was no reason for him to be casually sitting on my desk right now. However, it was an honour, of course.

"There's absolutely no problem, Amidelle— I can call you Amidelle, can't I?"

I nodded quickly, not even fully comprehending his words at first. "Oh— of course. Yes, of course, Sir."

He nodded his head once, eyes scanning me intently before he huffed in amusement. "Please," He said, gesturing towards the chair I stood in front of. "Sit, Amidelle. No need to mess up your productivity score for this."

Once again, I nodded before fully understanding what he was even saying. It took me another two seconds before I did and actually sat down, trying my best to concentrate on the work before me.

"And who told you you could take a break! Back to work!" I visibly flinched at the sudden roar of a voice echoing through the large room, eyes snapping back up only to realise he wasn't actually talking to me.

His attention was flickering through the room, watching as everyone scrambled back to their work. I relaxed in my seat, a small smile threatening to spill across my lips as I realised I was the exception.

My own eyes scanned the room, still noticing a few confused glances hushing my way. I honestly wasn't any wiser than they were about the circumstances I had found myself in.

"Tell me, what are you working on right now." Monroe's head was turned to look at me, his voice calm and collected again. His body still propped against the side of my desk, a small, charming smile played on his lips.

"Oh, just proofreading some transcripts—"

"—Your countdown ran out last week, didn't it?"

My brows furrowed at his statement, taken aback by the sudden interest in my personal life. I nodded nonetheless.

"It did, Sir. On Thursday."

He nodded thoughtfully, his face turning serious for a moment before another smile formed in the corners of his mouth.

"And how did that go? I imagine you must be over the moon with your soulmate." Noticing my hesitation, he huffed in amusement. "No need to worry, Amidelle. We take a great interest in how The System performs for our own. And you are one of us, aren't you?"

Once more, I nodded. "I am."

I swallowed thickly when I realised I wasn't over the moon with my soulmate, and I'd have to lie to The System about it.

I knew they'd take me in for questioning if I'd tell them what actually happened. They'd think I'm conspiring against them; think I was entirely against them. Maybe they'd even draw the conclusion I was one of those people covering their countdown with a bandage in my free-time once they found out my soulmate did. Maybe they'd even think I'm a spy for them.

I'd not only lose my job but my entire life.

I couldn't have that.

"Of course. Nothing out of the ordinary, then? With your soulmate?"

Ordinary. Why couldn't it just be ordinary?

"No, Sir. He's everything I could've asked for and more," I smiled brightly, ignoring the way my heart started to race as soon as the lie left my lips.

Lying became a habit of mine because of that man.

"We're meeting family and friends the coming weekend. I am above and beyond. I can't for them to meet each other."

I wondered whether I was a good liar.

Monroe nodded, his hand cupping his chin, eyes diverting off of my frame.

"You're really taking your time with that. Whatever made you decide not to introduce them to each other last weekend? If you met him on Thursday?" Once again, he noticed my hesitation immediately, and he tilted his head with a smile. "I'm only asking because it was your sister's birthday yesterday, wasn't it? It seems like the perfect opportunity."

How did he know about Audelle's birthday?

I turned my head to the side, avoiding eye contact as I thought of a believable excuse.

"I was rather nervous for them to meet if I'm being honest, Sir. It's entirely my fault. But I can't wait for Saturday now."

"Ah, of course."

My breath had picked up just slightly, the lies coming out of my mouth making it hard for me to breathe. He couldn't know about what actually happened, could he?

"I'm sorry, is this... routine, Sir?" I couldn't help myself; the question simply slipping out with not much I could do about it. "Forgive me; I don't mean to question your ways— I've just never seen you here before, talking about somebody's soulmate, of all things."

His brows lifted, and for a moment, I feared I had offended him. Though, his mouth opened to let out another low laugh soon after.

"They're routine, Amidelle. Of course they are. You were just lucky enough to have this... routine conducted with me," He explained, a charming smile gracing his lips.

"And why was I... lucky enough?"

He stood up, then, his hand brushing over the creases in his suit.

"I'm glad to hear your experience with The System was nothing but positive, Amidelle. I am sure we'll see each other again very soon."

And with that, paired with a courtesy nod, he left through the arched doorway back towards the elevators. 

A/N: PLOTPLOTPLOT

In my head, Monroe is like the old type of hot if you know what I mean that is all thank you nojihugzftfx

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. <3