Vadde fought to get down, sincerely cross. "You...."

She barely set foot on the soft grass before he snatched the basket and ran.

His movements made her stand and take notice. He wasn't a fast runner, though he wasn't as slow as she expected. When she gave chase, she was sure to keep from overtaking him.

They slowed to a walk by the time they came to a clearing.

Further upstream, a raggedy path caught her eye. "What's that?"

Wyrn held out the sheet to let the wind take it up before he pulled it down again.

"I don't have to look; I know it's the path you're referring to." He sat, pulling her down with him. "The most dangerous place here as it brings you into the enchanted forest."

His words made her smile. "Enchanted? So, there's magic inside?"

He scoffed. "You're married to a~~ yet you wonder if there's magic inside?"

Until now, Vadde might have argued it. Yes, magic was real, but many facts about magic were myths. If not for this word she couldn't hear, she may have believed that.

He wore that worried look again as he watched her, so she scooted closer to him. They rested side by side, staring at one another. His look of joy made her feel full.

"You look like you're glowing," he observed.

She reached out to stroke his face, running her finger down to his chin. "I'm just thinking about how good you felt."

His body warmed. The reaction was so quick that she chuckled.

"You mustn't say such things." He sat up and reached for the basket and she caught his arm.

For some time, he refused to acknowledge her. Finally, he removed her hand and kissed it as he went to work rummaging through their breakfast.

"You're going to enjoy these. They are only made on special occasions. It's by luck they were there."

Vadde slipped from his grip and rested on her side, watching him. "We both know the special occasion," she teased.

Teasing his shyness was quickly becoming an addictive habit.

He looked down at her. "Don't you want to eat?"

She honestly didn't. Instead, she held his knee. "Come lie down with me."

With a hold of her hand, he complied. Vadde liked seeing him. In this moment, she didn't think of her curse or what it might mean.

She didn't have much time to when a blue and red body flashed before her eyes.

Fairies.

The red one lay midair with her legs up, the blue holding her by the thighs as he thrust into her. Now and then they'd pause, switch positions where the blue rested his groin on his lover's mouth while pressing his lips between her legs as well.

Vadde's face burned hot, an observation Wyrn made.

"Are you feeling ill?"

That wasn't the feeling that was coming to Vadde.

"Oh, look at them," the red fairy said before popping the blue member back into her mouth. She pulled it from her lips yet again, circling the knob with her tongue as she pumped the blue shaft. "It's no fun if they won't join us."

The blue one came up for air and shrugged. "Told you you were wrong about them."

But at they spoke, a tentative hand held Vadde's waist. Vadde blinked herself awake and focused solely on the curious expression before her.

"If—" Wyrn began but Vadde lunged forward and caught him in a kiss.

Her action had the fairies taking flight higher. They laughed shortly after and turned to observe them.

"Oh, good," the blue fairy drawled, "I hadn't gotten a good view of their insertion yesterday. This is a fine chance. Come."

Whatever they were doing, Vadde blocked them out. It worked because she heard nothing beyond the gentle smacks of Wyrn's lips meeting hers.

"Husband?"

Wyrn stifled a laugh. "Yes, wife?"

He tasted sweet. "When you talk of fairies...is there something that...that attracts them? Is it luck? Or...or bad luck?"

Though their lips were still pressed together, Wyrn stopped moving. His response to her attempt at another kiss was to pull back and stare into her eyes.

Silence stretched between them for so long Vadde feared he'd realized...that she was cursed.

"Wyrn?"

He shot into a sitting position and she followed. He held her face with his right hand and guided her chin this way and that, fear in his eyes.

"What—what is it?"

Whatever he found, he was satisfied enough to calm. It was the look in his gaze that punctuated his serious words.

"Fairies are a bit dull. Extreme emotion takes them over. When they get into a rage, sometimes they can never leave it...for years. That's why wars with them are so devastating—they don't let up. But they are also difficult to provoke. Some say they can't feel much.... But they're drawn to one thing."

Vadde felt proud that she could contribute even this one word, "Love—"

"Affection. It's addictive and it's hard for them to generate it on their own so they follow it with others. But you must listen to me, and it's something that you must never forget. A woman touched by a fairy is ruined."

That one word sounded so offensive from his otherwise gentle tone.

"It's something in the magic," Wyrn explained. "A male Fae will condition not just a female fairy, but any female who takes his interest physically. But she can feel only pain with someone else, Fae or otherwise. As such, the absolute worst thing a fairy can do is bed our women."

Vadde's brows knitted. "Are you saying...?"

"If you cross one, it's one of the things it can do to you. They'll kill you if you're lucky. I beg you, please never consider the Fae for anything. Ever."

The tenderness of his voice offset his words of conviction.

He worried for her, and she felt the tangible danger.

She was sure to hold his hands and assure him, "I follow your lead. Always."

Instead of continuing on their intimate course, he lingered in her presence for a good while. Finally, he kissed her forehead then her nose, and then, her mouth.

His warm hand held her knee. More than once it inched down then back again.

Vadde whispered between the kisses, "Go on."

The next hesitation was brief as he slipped his hand between her legs.

"You put nothing on," he panted.

She slid her hand into his trousers. "I was hopeful."

By midday, despite them sharing one another more than once, she didn't have to admit she was unwanted. Her in-laws made that fact known for her.

They held hands as they strolled to the house to eat and his father and Aggu met them at the door.

"We have to talk," his father said, eyes settling on Vadde. The words to leave his mouth came with a disgusted scowl. "We have no use for princesses."