33: SYN-Losing It

I am pretty sure I slept through the entire night with a giant grin on my face, which carried into the morning when I woke up with Greyson's heavy arm draped over me.

My chest flutters with content and glee as I quietly shift from his gentle embrace and look down at the man who I let into my heart, and literally inside me last night. Gosh, even sleeping he looks intense; his muscles relaxed but still somehow shredded and sculpted like a marble statue.

I would have loved to stay in bed with him all morning, but this girl has got to pee.

"Crap!" I curse, quickly covering my mouth when I realize it's Parker pacing up and down the hall, and not a psycho killer.

"Syn. Hi, good morning. Sorry for scaring you," he apologizes, having a hard time keeping his gaze on me. He keeps looking over my shoulder.

"Good morning. I thought you were coming over later?"

"I was actually hoping to catch you before breakfast."

He motions for me to sit down with him in the kitchen, and I follow, albeit apprehensively. There are about a million thoughts running through my mind as we take a seat at the black marble kitchen island, but none of those thoughts prepared me for what came out of his mouth.

"You need to break up with Greyson."

I stare blankly at him for a second, not sure if I heard him right. He looks similar to Greyson, but shorter, stockier and lacking Grey's natural charisma and easygoing charm.

"Syn," he mutters, leaning closer on his elbows. "Look at me, Syn. I'm fucking miserable."

"Okay..."

"The kid's the only one in the family with a chance at a future. Well, his own future."

I don't know the full story of why Parker and Graham felt the need to follow in their father's footsteps and why they couldn't go on their own path, so I'm not making any judgments. For all I know, they did it for Greyson.

"Yes, he has a really bright future, and I don't plan on holding him back from that in any way."

"I know. You're a sweet girl. But he has clearly become so invested in you, his focus seems to have redirected."
I can feel my cheeks burning with embarrassment and anger, but I try to keep my expression neutral. "He only lost one game all season, and it was a team effort, Parker. He played flawlessly."

He shakes his head, looking over my shoulder again, probably trying to convince me to break his brother's heart before he can walk into the kitchen and murder him.

"Maybe so, and I know he is still focused on his goal. But Syn, he would give everything up for you without a second thought, if you asked."

"Parker," I mutter, grinding my teeth hard enough to keep my expletives in. "I think you're underestimating how strong willed he is. And how supportive I am of him..."

"Please hear me out," he whispers, trying to get me to lower my voice. "When he caught Nathalie cheating on him in high school, he was so depressed and distracted he almost screwed up his chance at getting onto a college team."

I stay quiet and give him the respect to hear him out like he asked, but my ears are ringing and I feel tears burning behind my lids.

"I can tell you care about him, but you're eighteen. Making mistakes and getting into fights is inevitable." Thank you, Captain freakin' Obvious, I wasn't aware I was eighteen. And woah, fighting? I would have never thought that would happen in a relationship! "You're both so young. I mean, what are the odds you two stay together long enough to get married?" I stay quiet, because what do I know? "I'm worried he might risk the rest of his life for a girl who could end it with him at any moment." Now I keep quiet because I'm afraid if I talk, I'll bawl my eyes out like the little kid he thinks I am. "I'm really not trying to be malicious. I genuinely think you're a great girl, and you clearly make my brother happy, but you're a wild card. I need to do everything I can to make sure he gets the future he deserves. I won't let him end up like me and Graham. I can't let it happen."