Tharn: Chapter 1

Ping.

Hey?

Ping.

What are you doing?

Ping.

Where are you?

Ping.

Why aren’t you responding?

Ping.

Are you ignoring me?

Ping.

I can’t believe this.

What the hell did I do wrong?

Ping.

Are you being serious right now?

Ping.

Fine. Bye. Keep ignoring me forever.

Shit.

Hey, I’m so sorry for not responding. Please don’t be mad. I was packing my stuff and didn’t hear my phone go off.

I’m sorryyyyyy.

Please, respond.

I wasn’t ignoring you.

Please.

‘Yeah, he isn’t going to respond. Goddamnit,’ I think.

I roughly run my hand through my hair thinking about all the grovelling I’ll have to do to be forgiven.

I take a look around my room, at the utter mess that I have made in the name of packing. I let out  a deep sigh, pick up the boxes and get to work.

I was hoping I could make it to the dorm by lunch time, but doesn’t look like it.

“Tharn? Darling? Is everything good?” my mother asks.

“Yes, just rounding up the last of the boxes,” I replied.

My mother stands by my door, with her arms folded. She’s looking at me with that smile and  a slight shake of her head.

“I don’t understand why you have to live in a shoebox on campus when you live in Bangkok and also have more than one type of vehicle at your disposal. I bet your bathroom here is bigger than your entire dorm room,  that too on a sharing basis for a whole year,” Mom says with a slightly amused smirk.

“Mom, we’ve been through this. I want to live on campus because it’ll make my life easier. I won’t have to waste time on commute as we all know how unforgiving Bangkok traffic is; and about the living space, you know I don’t really care for luxury. As long as I have a bed to sleep on, I’m golden,” I tell her for the nth time.

“Oh, my humble boy,” my mother says while she caresses my hair with a fond smile.

“You raised me,” I tell her with a lopsided grin.

“Are you done here? Should I call Thorn to help load up the car?” my mom asks as she takes a look around.

“I guess, I got everything I can think of and I do end up forgetting something, I can always come back for it,” I tell her as I turn around and put the lid on the last box.

“Okay,” she says and starts down the hall, calling out to my older brother.

Thorn is a senior in a different university that is closer to home so he opted to live at home. He was never enamoured with the college life, he’s sharp as a tack, straight A student, has a heart touched by Midas, he doesn’t have any bad habits, he’s the quintessential eldest son. Don’t get me wrong, he’s not boring at all. He’s actually someone that I’m closest too. I can talk to him about anything and everything and he treats me the same way, there is no asserting of dominance from his side.