Chapter 1

"Come on, just sneak out, we're all waiting for you," Stephanie, my best friend, urges over the phone.

It's May, and while the entire world seems to be at one of the year's biggest parties, I'm stuck at home, binge-watching Netflix and snacking on chips. It might not sound terrible, but when all your friends are having the time of their lives, it's hard not to feel left out.

"I can't risk it. You know I got grounded last time for sneaking out," I remind her, the memory of my punishment still fresh and raw. "There's a reason I'm stuck with homeschooling now."

"Come on, Ava! Alex is here," she adds, knowing exactly how to push my buttons. Alex, my crush, is there, and even though my feelings for him are relatively new, the idea of seeing him again is too tempting to resist, especially since I haven't seen him since my parents put me in homeschool.

"I'll be there in 15 minutes, bye!" I eagerly agree before hanging up.

Jumping off my bed, I fling open the doors of my closet, my eyes scanning the array of clothing inside. The thought of wearing a dress crosses my mind, but I dismiss it almost instantly. Settling on a pair of denim shorts, a crisp white crop top, and my favorite black high-top Converse. I apply a light touch of makeup to give myself a fresh appearance, wanting to look more awake and put-together and not like I just got out of bed. I give myself a once-over in the mirror, somewhat satisfied with my appearance. Grabbing my phone and car keys, I tiptoe to my door, praying it won't creak and give me away. The hallway feels like a minefield as I navigate it, my senses heightened to detect any unexpected sound. Each step down the staircase is a careful balancing act between stealth and speed. I can't afford to be caught by my parents or the guards. Not tonight. As I reach the bottom of the stairs, I hold my breath, listening for any signs of movement. Every sound feels amplified in the silence of the night.

Finally, I reach the door leading to the garage, I slip through and make a beeline for my car, eager to escape into the night. Ignoring the gnawing anxiety in my stomach, I start the engine. I can almost taste the freedom awaiting me outside these walls. Grabbing the remote for the garage door, I flinch as I watch it slowly open up. It emitted a grinding sound, echoing like an alarm through the stillness of the house. With each passing moment, my heart races faster, praying desperately that the noise won't wake up my parents or the vigilant guards, the tension building with each agonizing second.

I pull out of the garage, my hands gripping the steering wheel tightly as I navigate the dark streets. Every passing car sends a jolt of paranoia through me, fearing it might be a paparazzi tailing me. I glance nervously at the rearview mirror, half-expecting to see flashing lights and camera flashes behind me. And the last thing I need is for my reckless decision to end up plastered across tabloid headlines tomorrow morning. My parents would never let me hear the end of it. I force my attention back to the road ahead, trying to shake off the feeling of being watched as I sped toward the party. I turn up the radio, letting the music drown out the worries running through my mind. 

Arriving at the party, I finally relax my tense shoulders, the remnants of a nerve-wracking drive. Stepping out of my car cautiously, I scan the area before making my way inside. My eyes quickly land on Stephanie, who greets me with an enthusiastic grin. I hurry over to her, and she greets me with an enthusiastic hug.

"Oh my gosh, I can't believe you actually made it! Did any paparazzi chase you?!" she asks, genuine concern lacing her words.

"No, I hope not," I sigh, scanning the room for Alex.

"Up there," she points to his location.

Alex stood at the top of the grand staircase, engaged in conversation with a friend, casually sipping from a red cup. As his gaze sweeps over the crowd, our eyes meet, and a warm smile graces his lips. My heart skips a beat at the sight of him.