Chapter IX: Weathering Heights

I sat on a rock near the River. My mother stood above me cleaning up the gash on my cheek. She reached into her satchel and pulled out some sewing supplies.
"This'll hurt." She said and Louis gave me his hand to hold. It felt like someone had poured acid onto the cut and halfway through I actually fainted, which made the process for my mother a lot easier. When I awoke she handed me some liquor and I drank a little. Then she packed up and left.  Me and Louis walked back to the hotel together. I had a few hours to rest before we had to steal the note from Friedman so I gladly took them.
I walked into my room. I hadn't really had the chance to appreciate how pretty it was, there were pink drapes covering two beautiful windows that helped light come directly into the room. There was a canopy on the bed and flowers beside it, on the window sills there were cushions and pillows, and in the middle of the room there was a circular table with a table cloth and a vase of calla lilies in the middle. My personal favorite part to the room was the vanity with makeup and perfume clouding the surface. I plopped onto the bed and took my boots off.
"Why oh why couldn't he have waited a few weeks? Louis just had to admit it now, when I am falling for Whitey! He couldn't have waited until I have to leave?" I thought.
I sat up and walked over to the vanity, sitting down, I looked at my face. Typically I wasn't ugly, I actually quite liked my looks, but now... I looked like I was a prostitute and my super rich client beat me up.
Thankfully, my right eye wasn't swelling it was just visibly bruised. The gash on my cheek at first wasn't bad, but now that it had stitches, i kinda looked scary. I went over to the bed and laid down. Soon enough I fell asleep.

A few hours later I awoke to Louis shaking me.

"Sophie, wake up!" He said and raised his brows. I turned over and said in a raspy voice: "what is it?" Furrowing my brows

"You need to be ready to go in 15 minutes." He said

I got up and walked over to the dresser drawers.

"Whoah there" Louis said and threw a blanket at me.
I was confused...I was wearing clothes.

"What?" I said dropping the blanket.
I was wearing white nightgown that went down to the middle of my thigh.

"You're indecent" he said matter of factly and he turned to face the other direction

"I'm wearing clothes you weirdo" I said shaking my head and digging through my drawer.

I pulled a Light blue loose farm dress with puff sleeves over my head and slid some stockings on.

"I'm "decent"" I said annoyed and sarcastically using air quotes

"I am gonna go on down" Louis said opening the door and walking out.

About twenty minutes later I was standing near the sheriff's station getting ready for Louis to give me the signal.

I was staring at the window until Louis tugged on his ear. (In case you didn't catch that, that's the signal)

Louis ran into the Sheriff's station and started yelling for Whitey to run to the river.
I ran into the sheriff's station, I had eighteen minutes.
I searched for a while and until finally I had searched Friedman's entire desk top to bottom twice, I had 5 minutes. It wasn't there. I plopped on his chair, and started trying to think about where it could be.

About a minute later I got up and walked over to Whitey's desk and spotted a drawer at the bottom that was locked. I pulled a screwdriver out of his top drawer and opened it. I had 3 minutes. Inside was the letter, I shoved it into my satchel and suddenly Whitey opened the door to the station. I slid under his desk. Whitey walked in and Louis followed him.
"Why did you call me out there if you knew no one was there?"

"I swear I didn't know Whitey." Louis said.
Louis left and Whitey looked in the mirror and began pulling out his guns and flipping them around in his hands.

"I'm Whitey Winn, and you're... dead." He said and began drawing and putting his guns back ferociously.

I couldn't help it, and giggled in a low voice. I was busted...I knew it.
Whitey walked over to his desk and sat in his chair. He took a deep breath

"Hello Princess." He said without looking under the table. I got out and looked at the ground.
He stood abruptly and walked up to look at my face. He lightly touched the gash on my skin and my eyes then he put his arms on my shoulders, bent down, looked deep in my eyes and said:
"Who the hell did this to you?!" I had never seen him so serious... it kinda scared me.

"No one, I fell down every step in the Hotel." I said

"Sophie!" He rubbed his eyes with his hand and then look at me again.
"You are lying! And I'm gonna find out who did that if it's the last thing I do."

"Why do you think I'm lying?!" I said annoyed

"You are covering for someone. I don't know why, and I don't know who, but so help me God, when I find out who did that I am gonna hurt them!" He said shaking his head in emotion

"Let it go! Please Whitey, can we just be normal? Can you just forget it...For me?" I asked desperately

"For now" he said. As he took a deep breath he walked over to his desk and sat down.
For a second he was quiet then I saw a him slowly go back to normal.

"I'm not even gonna ask what you were doing under my desk." He said smiling.

"Good, you wouldn't believe me....Whitey, Winn!" I giggled

"Oh god."  He said covering his face and smiling.

"It's fine Lemming, I don't care...I still like you" I said and Whitey looked in my eyes. He didn't say a word he just stood up pushed me against the wall in front of the window and kissed me. He was sweet and kind and I felt guilty about kissing Louis.

"What was that for?" I asked.

"You like me." He said smiling.

"I hate you" I said giggling.

"I would love to stay and chat but I'm afraid I have some dragons to slay elsewhere." I said and slid away from his grip.

"Don't doubt it" he said winking at me
I ran out and straight into the saloon and sat at the table with Louis.
"Louis I got the letter! But it wasn't in the Sheriff's desk it was in Whitey's" I said excitedly as I sat down.

"Oh... okay." He said in a melancholy way.

" what's wrong?"

"Nothing...Read it!" He said faking a smile

I opened the letter.

" She has a daughter, the leader. I followed them and I discovered Luna saying that she needed to replace the money she gave to "her daughter" and I believe that the daughter might be covering as a townsperson in Creed. This daughter is possibly her weak spot. I would pursue this information if I was you."

Some information you might need: they call me Amira Luna (Princess of the Moon) because my mother's street name is Luna.

"Holy shit!" Louis exclaimed.

"How long do you think before they realise I'm closer than Creed?" I asked my face frozen in fear

"He attacked you, and if he knew then it's only a matter of time before the Sheriff finds out"
Louis said in a worried tone.

"We need to make a move on Friedman"

////
Hi! I'm the author of this fan fiction and I wanted to make something clear before I release the next chapter. In the next chapter I will be covering things from Louis's point of view, when I do this, I will put a name in bold letters above the actual text.
In a few chapters I will do the same thing for Whitey. Thank you for reading this far, it really means a lot, if you have any feedback/suggestions for the future of the story, feel free to message me, I check all messages sent to me!