Chapter 17

I walk to the door and shut it, standing so close to him I can feel his breath on my forehead.

"Sorry, I'm not sure what to do here." I'm about to suck air into my cheeks but I stop myself. "But I hate seeing you like this. And I'm not leaving till I can help fix whatever's wrong."

He finally turns to me, perplexity all over his face. Not saying anything, but at least he's looking at me. His dark eyes focus on mine, hair still mussed from the shower and flopping across his forehead. But what gets me most is his lips. Tight in the corners like he's suppressing some giant emotion. Anger, maybe, but it seems more like pain.

He's... oh gosh, he's hurt.

Don't know what comes over me. I don't care that my head is starting to throb again and my whole body aches. This stupid hangover doesn't matter right now. I don't want to see his pain anymore and next thing I know, I'm trying to erase the pain from his lips by pressing them with mine.

He's hesitant at first, refusing to respond and keeping his hands firmly at his sides. Am I still doing things wrong? Or did I just shock the hell out of him? I mean, I don't know how I ended up kissing him, but I don't want to stop. Like, never want to stop. So I don't pull away. Instead, I bite on his bottom lip, hoping he'll kiss me back.

And he does. Like, hell yes he does! He gives in with a sexy grunt, picks me up by my butt, and allows me to wrap my legs around his hips.

Ho-lee crap, I like that. A lot.

He whips me around so I'm trapped between him and the door. His tongue slides past my teeth and I suck on it, hoping he'll never take it back. Oh yes, yes, yes. He's the best kisser in the whole freaking world! Even with the frenching, it's not sloppy or gross, it's just so flippin' fantastic!

His fingers linger on my sides as deep moans escape his throat. Damn, that's hot. I can't stop my own passionate noises when his hips press into mine, making the door creak with every movement we make. Oh. My. Gosh. Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh. Everything gets warm as I feel every part of him I've wanted for so long against me. His hand moves from my side to the inner workings of my knee, pulling me closer, which I didn't think was possible.

Is this really happening? Is he letting go of everything I've done to him? Everything I put him through? Does he want me just as much as I want him?

The weird thing is I'm not afraid of this. With every other guy it was so different. Like, it wasn't me kissing them. And when things got too heated I'd jump back in my body and tell them to get their paws off. But with Sonic, I'm here—like the real me, Freak Amy, and she wants this too.

I leave his lips for a moment to kiss behind his ear, biting his lobe and involuntarily moaning as I let him explore my body with his hands. But before I get back to his amazing mouth, he backs off, dropping me flat on my butt.

"No," he says between breaths. "Amy, I can't." He starts mumbling a whole bunch of sorries and keeps his front from my view.

It takes me a minute to catch my breath and get in a comfortable position on the floor. And for the room to stop spinning. "Why... why not?"

"I can't do it again." He interlocks his fingers behind his head and starts pacing, still keeping his back to me.

"Do what again?"

"This!" He finally turns around. "You. Me. I don't think I have it in me."

"What?" I can feel everything inside my chest tighten. Oh gosh, I don't want to have this conversation. I don't want to hear how horrible I am, because I already know.

"I can't fall for you again, Ames. Especially now."

My eyes widen, but other than that, I try to keep my composure. "Why not?"