Simon's lip quirks at the corner at my words, but still he shakes his head, "I don't even care about that anymore. Nothing matters but Jocelyn." He looks to me, eyes wide in desperation, "We have to wake her up. "

"She loves you so much." Clary says, gently seating herself beside Simon, her hand coming up to hold his own.

"She was always kind of like a second mom to me." He mutters, "Remember when she got me that sealed copy of Battle-toads?" We laugh in unison, nodding our heads at the memory, one that feels like a lifetime ago, so far away it's as if it wasn't even real.

It's like some crazy fever dream, I can't even remember what life was like before we fell into all this Shadowhunter mess.

"But Simon, Camille's dangerous. If you sign this thing, we'll just be setting her free to kill again." Clary says, her brow set in worry, the creases between her eyes showing the stress and pressure since our 18th birthday.

"No. She's not half as bad as Valentine. Your mom beat him once. If Valentine has a weakness, she knows it. Or... maybe she is it. But, we have to at least find out." Simon explains, a slow and marching process, but his words come out clearly all the same, and I nod, accepting his words.

I open my mouth again, ready to tell Simon we would follow him in his decision, but I'm cut short as the sound of footsteps entering interrupt, and we all lift our eyes to see Alec stood before us, broody and serious as ever.

His eyes meet mine instantly and my breath catches as we look at one another. I quickly feel myself unconsciously looking him over, my eyes scanning over his leather and jean clad body, desperately searching for any injuries or blood. I feel myself sigh in relief when I see none and Alec smiles slightly, acknowledging my worries and mentally assuring me he's ok.

"Alec, did you find Hodge?" Clary asks, alerted by his single presence.

Where the hell is Jace?

"Yeah, but Valentine has the Cup." He states, gritting out the harsh words.

"What!" I exclaim, standing up beside a now terrified looking Clary, the both of us exchanging harrowing looks.

"Where's Jace? Is he okay?" Clary asks, her eyes scanning behind Alec, as if any second now Jace may strut in, smirking, winking, laughing, just like he usually did- but the sombre look in Alec's eyes tells me otherwise.

"He went after Valentine by himself. It's like he's totally lost it. I tried to stop him, but he wouldn't listen." Alec explains, a brief shadow of fear and hurt flashing across his eyes, and I hold myself back from asking if he's ok, knowing now wasn't the time.

"We need to find Jace. He's in a dark place, we don't know what he's gonna do." Clary jumps forwards ready to run and find him, but Alec swiftly steps in her way, gently pushing her back, his eyes bright with warning.

"Luke is out looking for him and Jace wants us to stay on mission." He states, though Clary's scoff shows she couldn't care less what Jace wants right now. "That means we have to find the book."

"He's right, we have to wake up your mom." Simon says softly and despite the battle in Clary's eyes I can see that she agrees, her shoulder slumping as she takes a step back.

"It's the only way to stop Valentine" I whisper, my eyes soft as I grip Clary's hands, a reassuring pressure passing between us.

***

"Wow. You've got a lot of books." Alec states, though his tone suggests a sense of tediousness to it rather that actual awe. I would smirk or retort but I'm myself too enthralled by said books, the seemingly never ending bookshelves of them capturing my attention and interest.