2 | THEN

SUMMER VAN DOREN
15 years ago

I was merely six years old when my curious feet first ventured into the enigmatic world of the Lukacs family.

From the moment I laid eyes on their towering mansion, nestled amidst the whispering trees, I was drawn to its allure like a moth to a flame. However, my parents, with furrowed brows and somber warnings, had cautioned me to steer clear of the Lukacs domain.

Despite their warnings, the forbidden curiosity gnawed at me relentlessly, enticing me to explore the secrets hidden behind the Lukacs estate's grand facade.

The midday sun beat down mercilessly as I slipped through the wrought iron gates into the abandoned garden next door. The overgrown foliage whispered for my help as I made my way to the center, a small basket of flower seeds clutched tightly in my hands.

I was on a mission, driven by a stubborn determination to bring life to this forgotten corner of Alexandria.

Kneeling in the dirt, I began to dig with a fierce intensity, my hands moving swiftly as I worked to carve out a space. But before I could scatter the seeds, a voice sliced through the silence like a knife.

"What do you think you're doing?"

I froze, my heart pounding in my chest, as I turned to see him standing there; his eyes flashing with a dangerous light. The boy stood before me, dressed in luxurious attire befitting his status. His shirt, crafted from rich fabric, exuded opulence with its intricate design and fine detailing. Each fold and seam bespoke of quality, accentuating the elegance of his ensemble. The fabric draped effortlessly over his frame, tailored to perfection to emphasize his stature and refinement. Paired with impeccably tailored slacks, his attire spoke volumes of wealth and sophistication.

"None of your business," I shot back, my tone defiant as I clenched my jaw. "My parents don't allow me to talk to you," I added, my tone laced with sass. "But they didn't say anything about gardening in peace."

"That doesn't include gardening property that isn't yours," he retorted, folding his arms across his chest with a smug grin. "Stupid girl."

I squared my shoulders, refusing to back down. "I can do whatever I want," I shot back, my voice tinged with defiance. "And I'm not hurting anyone by making this garden beautiful."

His smirk widened, a glint of superiority in his eyes. "You do realize this is my parents' property, right?" he pointed out, his tone laced with amusement.

I faltered for a moment, my defiance momentarily deflated. "Well, it's not like they're using it," I retorted, flashing him a grin. I couldn't help but snort at his seriousness. "Oh, please, I'm just a harmless little flower enthusiast," I fired back, feigning innocence with a playful twinkle in my eye. "Are you going to call the flower police on me?"

His eyes narrowed, a disdainful sneer twisting his lips. "Pathetic," he muttered under his breath, his voice dripping with contempt.

I bristled at his insult, my defiance reigniting with a vengeance. "Better to be pathetic than heartless," I shot back, my tone sharp as I met his gaze head-on.

He scoffed, a derisive laugh escaping him. "You're just a nuisance," he retorted, his frustration evident as he tried to dismiss me. "Piss off. Now."

Rude.

I kind of put myself in that position, but still.

Still, I could sense something more beneath his facade of arrogance. There was a tension in his stance, a flicker of anxiety in his hazel eyes.

What was he so desperate to protect?

"You look like you're about to faint," I said, my voice softening with concern. Stepping closer, I stood on my tippy toes to reach his height and gently placed the palm of my hand against his forehead, searching for any signs of distress.