7 | NOW

SUMMER VAN DOREN

The clock strikes four, the chime echoing through the grand foyer of Lukacs Manor as I stand at the imposing double doors, steeling myself for what lies beyond. Despite my resolve, a sense of apprehension gnaws at my insides as I prepare to face Aria and Gabriel Lukacs once more.

With a steadying breath, I push open the doors and step into the opulent interior of the manor. The air is heavy with the scent of polish and privilege, a stark contrast to the salty sea breeze I've grown accustomed to. As I make my way through the lavish halls, I can't help but feel like a fish out of water, surrounded by the trappings of wealth and power that have always seemed so foreign to me.

I find myself in a grand sitting room, where Aria and Gabriel await me with steely gazes and cold smiles. Despite their composed exteriors, I can sense the tension crackling beneath the surface, a silent reminder of the power struggle that lies between us.

"You're late," Aria remarks, her voice like ice.

I meet her gaze with a defiant stare. "I'm right on time," I reply evenly, refusing to let her rattle me.

Gabriel steps forward, his expression unreadable. "Let's cut to the chase," he says, his tone clipped. "We have business to discuss, and we expect your full cooperation."

I hold his gaze, my jaw set in determination. "I'll cooperate on my own terms," I counter, my voice firm. "I won't be bullied into submission by the likes of you."

Aria's lips curl into a smirk, a glint of amusement dancing in her eyes. "We'll see about that," she says, her voice dripping with confidence.

As the tension begins to ease, I realize the need to navigate this delicate situation with caution. While I stand firm in my resolve, I understand the importance of maintaining a level of civility, even in the face of adversity.

"I may have come off a bit strong," I admit, my tone softened but firm. "But make no mistake, I won't compromise on what's rightfully mine."

Aria and Gabriel exchange a wary glance, the air still thick with unspoken tension. "Apology noted," Aria replies, her tone guarded.

Gabriel nods in acknowledgment, a steely glint in his eyes. "Let's not dwell on the past," he says, his voice measured. "We have matters to attend to."

With a subtle shift in demeanor, the conversation turns to business, the weight of our respective agendas hanging in the air like an unspoken challenge.

As the meeting progresses, the atmosphere shifts from one of tension to one of pragmatic cooperation. Aria and Gabriel outline their plans for the Lukacs estate, detailing the various business ventures and investments that have kept the family fortune thriving over the years.

I listen intently, absorbing the intricacies of their operations and the potential opportunities for growth. Despite our rocky history, I can't help but admire their shrewd business acumen and the dedication they've poured into maintaining the Lukacs legacy.

"We've diversified our portfolio to mitigate risks and maximize returns," Aria explains, her voice confident and assured. "From real estate to tech startups, we've left no stone unturned in our quest for success."

Gabriel chimes in, elaborating on their strategic partnerships and overseas ventures. "We've built a network of allies and collaborators," he says, his tone authoritative. "And we're always on the lookout for new opportunities to expand our influence."

As the discussions unfold, I make it clear that while I'm committed to collaborating with Aria and Gabriel on the affairs, my primary focus remains on safeguarding the Van Doren legacy. I emphasize the importance of honoring my parents' memory and preserving the values they held dear, even as we navigate the knottiness of our shared business interests.