3 | NOW

SUMMER VAN DOREN

Thursday dawns with the promise of summer in the air, a gentle breeze carrying the scent of blooming flowers through the streets of Alexandria.

After four years abroad, I find myself back on the island I once called home, the familiarity of its cobblestone streets a comforting embrace. As I wander through the quaint shops and bustling cafes, memories of my European adventures mingle with the sights and sounds of Alexandria. It's strange to be back, to relive it after so long away.

The people I once knew seem both familiar and distant, their faces blurred by time and distance. Yet, there's a sense of warmth in their greetings, a reminder that, despite the passage of time, some things remain unchanged.

As the day progresses, I find myself drawn to familiar haunts and hidden corners, each one a treasure trove of memories waiting to be unearthed. From the old bookstore where I whiled away countless afternoons to the secluded park where secrets were whispered beneath the shade of ancient trees, every corner of Alexandria holds a piece of my past.

Yet, amidst the nostalgia, there's a sense of something new lingering on the horizon. The town seems alive with whispered excitement, a buzz of suspense that hints at something more than just my return.

I pause by the town square, watching as preparations for the annual masquerade ball unfold before my eyes. The colorful banners and elaborate decorations cast a festive glow over the avenues, transforming Alexandria into a place of wonder.

The uncertainty of the annual masquerade ball weighs heavily on my mind. With each step, I feel the pull of the extravaganzas, drawing me closer to the heart of the island.

Upon reaching home, I find a neatly sealed envelope waiting for me on the doorstep. Allured, I tear it open to reveal an elegant invitation adorned with intricate designs and delicate script. My heart quickens as I read the contents of the invitation, a surge of excitement coursing through me.

About damn time. Just around four hours beforehand.

I slip the invitation into my pocket and make my way inside. The masquerade ball awaits, and I can't wait to see what events the night holds in store.

As I sit in my room, the invitation clutched tightly in my hand, a sense of unease settles over me like a heavy fog. Despite the excitement that bubbles within me at the thought of attending the masquerade ball, there's a nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach that something isn't quite right. I've heard all the stories, the whispers that float through the island like a dark cloud. Some things never change. And though I try to push them aside, they linger in the back of my mind, casting a shadow over the festivities that await.

The thought of facing the familiar faces of Alexandria after mysteriously disappearing for four long years. The prospect of encountering old friends and acquaintances, of having to explain where I've been and what I've been doing, fills me with a sense of dread. Will they welcome me back with open arms, or will their curiosity be tinged with suspicion and judgment?

I can't help but wonder what they've been saying about me in my absence, what rumors have circulated in the whispers of the island. Will they see me as the same person who left all those years ago, or will they sense the changes that have taken place within me?

With a heavy heart, I realize that attending the masquerade ball means confronting not only the puzzles of the night but also the mysteries of my own past. And though the thought fills me with fear, I know that I can't hide from the truth forever.

As I make my way into the kitchen, the tension that has been coiled within me begins to unravel. With a flick of my wrist, I reach for a fine bottle of champagne, its golden hue sparkling in the soft light of the room. With a sense of release coursing through me, I pop the cork and pour myself a glass, the effervescent bubbles tickling my senses. As the music fills the air, I let myself be carried away by the rhythm, moving with a fluid grace that belies the turmoil within. With each sip of champagne, I feel a weight lifting from my shoulders, replaced by a sense of freedom and joy. For a moment, all worries and doubts melt away, leaving only the exhilaration of the present moment.