"Wait," Wyrn said. He expected them to perhaps back down or change their minds about following him, but every face seemed eager.

"I've put up some traps. Let's just lay in wait and wait for the screams." A fairy was a loud victim when pierced with iron. They could pinpoint it easily that way.

"Good idea," Father agreed. "Better than leaving the women unprotected. Get them in and establish a perimeter!"

An unbridled rage fueled their charge and they lit torches despite the light of day, and metal and silver for any battle Fae crawling from the underworld.

Wyrn could practically taste the blood he was about to let loose.

So, three hours later, he was unsure how he ended up standing meekly with his brothers as Father held up yet another empty trap. Wyrn didn't dare move, but his eyes gravitated to Bonn who looked equally uncomfortable.

Now at the bottom of their hill, Wyrn reluctantly blew out the candle. It didn't come back. The fairy was gone. Father held out his hand for it.

Feeling about two inches tall, Wyrn took off his helmet and twirled it in his hands.

Deep in the forest, beyond a stone archway, a huge boulder rested undisturbed no doubt. Despite its size, it wasn't hard for one of them to move it. It was, however, quite difficult for the fairies themselves. Back here in the village at the bottom of the hill, nothing was amiss.

"Well," Wyrn said, clearing his throat, "I suppose I jumped to conclusions." He turned to his father, pensive. "Sorry."

The man patted Wyrn's shoulder, alight with pride. "Look at you! Never have I seen you this determined. Your woman's done wonders for you. Don't worry." The hearty slap on the back had Wyrn stumbling forward. "And you can admit when you're wrong. Who can fault you that?"

Wyrn stared up at him, in awe. "R—really?"

The final strike on the back had him tumbling and everyone laughed, even him.

"Right," Wyrn said, returning his helmet to his head, "let's go back up then."

"If it's all the same," Father said through gritted teeth. "could we at least wait till supper time so we can look like we did a lot of work?"

He received a chorus of agreement from the small crowd.

Even Bonn nodded. "No complaints here."

Two men offered to pick mushrooms, a few went to hunt rabbits.

With this, they could return to the main houses as heroes rather than failures.

And then it occurred to Wyrn. "But I told everybody to stay inside. Will they even cook?"

Father patted his shoulder. "You'll learn soon enough that wives hardly ever listen. After about an hour, they must have lost some faith."

"Oh." Wyrn nodded. "All right." His thoughts fell on the princess. "Wait, I didn't explain it to her."

Father assured him, "Shaza was heading toward her when we left. To be sure, she's fine."

"Shaza?" Bonn's nerves made his voice shake. "She was the one helping?" He backed away, ready to run back home.

"Oi," Father bellowed. "What is your intent?"

Bonn froze and said nothing. He opened and closed his mouth for ages but finally gave up. That action made Wyrn curious.

Wyrn had misgivings of his own but with this fiasco of a Fae hunt, he didn't dare make another mistake.

"Just want to head home," Bonn said. But while he spoke to their father, his eyes settled on Wyrn. "You know. It's just a feeling. Maybe she's not the best guide. Just...a bit of jealousy in play."