Chapter Thirty-Seven

Thanos is coming.

The words repeated a thousand times in my head, but I still couldn't believe it. Thanos, the being who mind controlled Loki, the titan that killed half of each race he encountered.

"How do you know?" Loki asked.

"He came to Asgard," Thor said, his voice breaking.

Loki began to shake.

"Is Mother alright? Is Father okay?" Loki asked.

"Yes, they are both fine," Thor said. "Brunhilde was able to get everyone out. But he has the space stone."

"So, he can go wherever he wishes," Loki whispered.

"He'll go after Vision," I said quietly. "For the mind stone."

"Is there any way we can remove it?" Steve asked.

"Hold on, the stone could be the only thing keeping Vision alive!" Tony said.

"No," Vision said. "It is... not."

Everyone looked at him expectantly.

"The stone mixed with electricity gave me power, but it is not what holds me together," Vision said.

"How do you know that?" I asked.

"I just do," he replied simply.

"Maybe Shuri can help," Peter suggested.

We all turned to look at him.

"For once, I agree with the kid," Sam said.

"Then let's go," Steve said.

We all piled into the quinjet. Tony got the Hulkbuster ready to go. I watched as Bruce paced. I walked up to him as the jet took off.

"I – I might be able to keep you as Bruce for a while when you're fighting, if you'd like," I said quietly. "I've been working on it. You could use the Hulkbuster instead of... the hulk."

Bruce looked at me in surprise.

"You can do that?" he asked.

I shrugged.

"I've been practicing," I said.

Bruce agreed and I strapped myself in next to Loki. Wanda and Vision sat next to each other. Vision was reassuring Wanda that everything was going to be fine.

"How bad will this end?" I asked Loki quietly.

"I am not sure if we will all survive, let alone win," Loki said softly. "My love, you are the most important person in my life. If things go south-"

"I am not going to run," I growled. "Either we survive together or die together."

It was a horrible thought, but I was not going to leave him. Loki just sighed and kissed my temple.

"Then let's survive," Loki whispered.

We arrived at Wakanda in the hour. T'Challa and Shuri led us to Shuri's lab. Shuri took a good look at Vision while I paced and wrung my fingers.

I defeated an entire army, I thought. I destroyed power from an infinity stone. I took on the Avengers and won.

"I can start the procedure now," Shuri said.

Vision was lying on the table. A massive boom shook the lab. I wobbled but stayed upright.

"What the hell was that?" Bucky asked.

"They are here," T'Challa said.

I looked over to see the shield protecting Wakanda being rained upon by alien spaceships. Creatures exited the strange ships.

"Then let's go fight," I said.

"Y/n, you need to stay up here," Tony said.

"Wait, what? Why?" I asked.

"We need you to protect Vison," Steve said. "You're the strongest of us. You're our final defence."

"But... But I can fight out there!" I whirled to face Loki. "Tell them, Loki! I can do better on the field!"

"I think it is best if you stay behind," Loki said.

"You're only saying that because you don't want me to get hurt!" I yelled.

"Of course, I don't want you to get hurt!" Loki yelled back. "But I still think it is best for you to protect Vision!"

I exhaled sharply.

"Fine," I growled.

I walked up to Bruce and held my hand out. My hand glowed gold before a golden wave washed over Bruce. I radiated calm to him.

"Try to get angry," I said.

"Not in my lab!" Shuri yelled.

I created a dome of golden light.

"Now try," I said.

Bruce concentrated hard for a moment, but nothing happened. No green came at all. I dropped the shield.

"Alright. Avengers, let's do this," Steve said.

I looked to Loki. If he died, I didn't want out last words to be angry. I ran over to him and hugged him tightly.

"Don't die, okay?" I whispered.

Loki kissed me on the head.

"For you, I would do anything," he said.

Everyone began to leave, but I brushed up against something under my clothes.

"Wait!" I called.

Everyone turned to me as I pulled the amulet from around my throat.

"Don't shoot when there's an orange circle and a wizard," I said.

Some people cocked their heads. Not all of them had met Stephen yet. I shooed them away and they all left for the battlefield. I allowed my power to flow through the amulet. It began to glow a bright gold, so bright it was blinding for a moment. When the glow began to fade, an orange circle appeared and Strange stepped out.

"What is it?" he asked.

"The mad titan is coming, the one that mind controlled Loki. He has an army," I said, pointing to the window. "Can you fight?"

Strange nodded. He created another circle and disappeared. A minute later, he appeared next to Steve on the battlefield. They shared a few words before portals began opening around the field. More wizards stepped out of the portals.

"Woah," Shuri breathed.

We watched as the new soldiers used orange magic to create shields. Shuri ran up to her hologram and got to work.