Chapter Thirty-Four

"You must come and visit again soon!"

"I will," I said, hugging Sif goodbye.

Loki, Thor, Jane, and I had spent a week on Asgard since the battle against the dark elves. I had been out for a day, my body making me sleep in order to replenish my power supply. I was shaky for a couple of days afterwards, but I was perfectly fine. Loki had scolded me and reminded me every day about how dangerous it had been.

Now we were going back to Midgard. Heimdall did his magic portal thing and we were back at the Avengers' tower.

"Y/n!" Wanda called, running at me for a hug.

I encircled her in my arms. I'd missed her quite a bit.

"There's someone here to see you."

I looked up to see Tony looking slightly grave.

"Me?" I asked.

Tony nodded. I followed him out of the room and to one of the more formal conference rooms. Tony opened the door. A man with a red cape was looking out of the window. When the door opened, he turned to face me. He had facial hair like Tony's and eyes a blue so light they almost seemed grey.

"Y/n, nice to meet you. I'm Doctor Stephen Strange," the man said.

"Do you have a doctorate?" I asked, narrowing my eyes.

"Yes," Stephen said curtly.

"Huh," I said. "Wasn't expecting that."

"Y/n, I need to talk to you about your abilities," he said.

I sat down in a chair and propped my feet up on the table.

"Lucky for you, I love talking about myself," I said.

"Feet off the table!" I heard Tony yell through the tower speakers.

"Feet off the table!" I mocked, dropping my feet, and then putting them back up. "Anyway, what were you saying?"

Stephen sat down across from me.

"Are you aware how powerful you are?" Strange asked.

I shrugged.

"Sort of. I defeated an entire army of dark elves and power from an infinity stone," I said. "I'd guess that makes me pretty powerful."

"Are you aware that you are one of the most powerful entities in the universe?" he asked.

"Uh... well now I am," I said.

"Do you know what I am?" he asked.

"Well, judging by the cape, I'd have to say a wizard or a superhero," I said.

"I am a Master of the Mystical Arts," he said.

"Do you paint with crystals or something?" I asked.

"Has anyone ever told you how infuriating you are?" he asked, standing up.

"Yep, loads of times," I said.

Stephen took a deep breath and sat down slowly.

"I keep a watchlist of individuals and beings from this realm and others that may be a threat to this world. You are one of those beings," Strange said.

I froze.

"What?" I asked.

"You may not have homicidal tendencies like Loki, but I need to know what side you're on," he clarified.

"I'm on the Avengers' side," I said.

Doctor Strange nodded. He reached to the back of his neck and unclasped an amulet. It was a circle with a carving of a horn in the middle.

"If you ever need my help – with something serious – just let your power flow through this amulet and I will come and help you," he said.

I quirked an eyebrow.

"Why are you giving it to me?" I asked. "Why not someone more responsible, like Nat?"

"Because you are the only one powerful enough to activate it," he said.

"Well, that's cool," I said, grabbing the amulet from his hands.

"I'd best get going," Stephen said, getting up from his chair.

He waved his arms around in a circle and an orange circle of sparks and embers appeared.

"Goodbye, y/n," he said, before walking through the circle and disappearing. The circle vanished, leaving no trace of the doctor ever being here.

I left the meeting room with furrowed eyebrows. I met the whole team in the living room. I squished myself beside Loki in an armchair.

"What was that about?" Loki asked, placing an arm around my shoulders.

"I don't entirely know. Some guy called Stephen Strange wanted to talk to me about my magic and then called me infuriating," I said, shrugging.

"I mean, he wasn't wrong," Steve muttered into his glass of water.

I took my shoe off and threw it at him. He caught it with his dumb reflexes.

"Stupid super soldier," I grumbled, snuggling into Loki.

"Now they're going to plan your murder. Congratulations," Tony said.

"Aww," Wanda and Natasha said.

All of the men looked to the girls in terror. Loki and I laughed while the others shifted uncomfortably.

"Don't worry, Cap," I said. "I won't kill you. You're actually alright to have around."

"So, how did it go on Asgard?" Bruce asked, changing the subject.

"Well, turns out I'm Asgardian and my mother is the goddess Sigyn from Norse mythology," I said casually.

Clint spat out his water and began to choke. Natasha thumped him on the back.

"Wait, isn't Sigyn Loki's wife in Norse mythology?" Bruce asked.

"Sometimes the mortals get things wrong," Loki said.

"Like when they said you turned into a horse and had-"

"Yes, like that time," Loki grumbled, shutting me up.

Thor laughed while Loki rolled his eyes. I watched everyone from my spot at Loki's side. I felt perfectly content with Loki and the rest of my family. I watched as Bucky poured ice down Sam's shirt. I watched Thor and Steve have an arm wrestle, at Tony's request. I watched as Natasha casually taught Wanda about specific pressure point in the human body that – if hit with enough force – could kill somebody.

This was my family. After seven months of knowing and living with them, they had become the people I loved the most. And if anyone tried to take them away from me, I would kill them without hesitation.