Chapter Nine

I punched the punching bag over and over. I had been training since about five in the morning. Steve had come down to train but decided to train as far away from me as possible. I wasn't sure whether to take offence or not.

The elevator doors opened, and Loki stepped out. He glared at me and walked over.

"You're not supposed to be here without letting me know first," he growled.

"Did you not get my note?" I asked innocently.

"Of course, I did. It was taped to my forehead," he snarled.

I held back a laugh.

"Well, I'm sorry, but I didn't want to wake you! It was five in the morning!" I said.

Loki narrowed his eyes at me.

"You've been here for six hours?" he questioned.

"What, does the sweat not reveal it?" I asked.

Loki looked me up and down. Sweat was running down my neck and back and had drenched my shirt. His eyes lingered on my body a little too long to be friendly.

"Well, you have a series of tests for today," he said.

I cocked my head.

"What sort of tests?" I asked.

"Just to test out what level you're at, physically and mentally," Tony interrupted.

I hadn't even noticed he'd entered the room.

"Okay," I said. "When do we start?"

"Now," he said.

The Avengers lined up in the training room.

"First off, we're going to test your strength," Tony said.

I was led to a weightlifting place.

"So, Capsicle can press 800 pounds at the most," Tony said. "Let's see how well you can do."

I didn't like his cocky tone. I ended up being able to lift 660 pounds.

"Are you a super soldier?" Tony asked.

"Almost," I said. "Something went wrong, so I'm kind of three quarters of a super soldier."

Next my speed was tested. I could run at 40 miles per hour.

Then it was time for hand-to-hand combat.

"We're going to put you against Steve and then Natasha," Tony explained.

I stood in front of Steve on a mat.

"Sorry if I hurt you, old man," I said.

He lunged at me. I twirled out of the way and kicked him in the back. He spun back around. He aimed a punch to my face which I dodged. I successfully punched him in the stomach, winding him. I wrapped my legs around his neck and twisted, pulling him down to the ground. I held my thighs on his neck tightly until he tapped out. I released him and stood up.

Everyone was looking at me with shock written all over their faces.

"Alright, now you're up against me," Natasha said.

I knew that she wasn't going to go easy on me. She didn't let me get ready before she lunged at me. She punched at my face and I blocked it with my arms. She twirled through the air, trying to land a blow on me. All I could do was continue to block her attacks. She twisted and threw a kick at my face. I grabbed her leg and threw her to the ground. She got up, but I didn't give her any time to collect herself. This time, I attacked, and she blocked. I kicked and punched but she danced away. We went at it for twenty minutes before Tony called it a draw.

I was panting heavily after it, and I was glad to see that Natasha was panting as well.

Next, we all travelled up a floor to the target room. Surprisingly, I was given a gun. I aimed at the targets and shot with perfect accuracy. After I had shot every target in the same place twice, I placed my gun down.

"I – the precision," Clint whispered.

"I was trained thoroughly," was all I said.

We went back down to the training room.

"Now we're testing your powers," Tony said.

I looked around to see that everyone was now on the defensive. Wanda had red wisps swirling around her hands. Steve had his shield and Tony was in his Iron Man suit.

It was nice to know how much they trusted me.

Tony clunked over to me. He took my limiters off after giving me the sternest looked I'd ever received in my life. When the metal bands left my wrists, I felt like a weight had lifted. I sighed and closed my eyes as golden wisps of power circled around me.

I opened my eyes and the golden mist disappeared.

"Okay, what do you want me to do first?" I asked.

"Fight Loki," Tony said.

"Wait, what?" Loki and I asked at the same time.

"Other than Lady Wanda, my brother is the one with the most magic," Thor explained.

I rolled my shoulders.

"Sorry, Lokes. It's nothing personal," I said.

Loki smiled at me mischievously. Suddenly, thirty more Loki's appeared. I let my power flare out in a circle, vanishing the illusions and pushing Loki back a step. He smirked at me and shot a ball of green light at me. I held my hands out and caught it with my power, before throwing it back at him. Loki put a shield up to protect himself. I then threw spears of magic at Loki. His shield began to buckle. Suddenly, the other Avengers began attacking me, too. Steve threw his shield at me and I ducked. Iron Man blasted at me and I created a shield to protect myself. Wanda threw her power out at me, but I deflected it with a shield. Loki shot an ice dagger at me and I caught it.

"Woah, did anyone see that?" I asked excitedly.

The Falcon snorted before swooping me. I threw him against the wall with my power. I cushioned his fall.

The Avengers continued attacking me. Loki was being the most annoying, so I created a shield dome with just the two of us in it. The Avengers tried to penetrate my shield, and I allowed a smug smile to rise to my face when they realised trying to break into my shield was impossible. I shot blast after blast of power at him, twirling and ducking to avoid his attacks. I raised both of my arms and shot out a stream of golden power at Loki. He raised his and shot a green stream at me. They collided in the middle of the room and blew us back. I landed on my back and had the wind knocked out of me. I instinctively raised a shield to cover me.

"I think that's enough for today," Tony said.

He walked towards me with the limiters in hand. I groaned as I rose to my elbows. I slowly got to my feet and dropped my shield. I held my arms out towards Tony like a zombie. He clamped the limiters onto my wrists.

"Can I get some with a bit of colour?" I asked him.

"It's time for your intelligence test," he said.

He led me to a room with a desk and a chair. On the desk was a stack of papers and a pen.

"Here. You have two hours to finish," he said, before leaving and closing the door.

"What is this, school?" I muttered.

I sat down at the desk and began the test. I was pretty smart for an eighteen-year-old. Sure, I couldn't even try to rival Tony Stark and Bruce Banner's intelligence, but I wasn't stupid. My IQ was above the average person's.

Once I had finished, Tony reappeared to let me out. I went straight to my room, exhausted from my day. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. When I awoke, I found a bowl of steaming stew on my desk. There was a note next to it in an elegant script.

Y/n,

You fell asleep before lunch. This is for when you wake up. I placed a spell on it so that it would keep warm.

- Loki

I smiled at the note and ate my food quickly, my thoughts filled with the delicate smile of the dark-haired god.