Chapter 30: I'm not gay, I'm British

Start from the beginning

Esma shrugged. "It's fine, I get it. You don't need to explain anything to me. But it looks like you're in some deep shit,"

I nodded.

"That's exactly why you gotta go," she started again. "You gotta get out of here, go to Turkey or Costa Rica or some shit. Get the hell out of here,"

"I can't just...leave," I said exasperated. "Someone will find me and kill me." Probably Liam Neeson.

She hauled me out of my seat and dragged me out the library. Sam didn't even glance in our direction. "I'm calling you an uber," she stated. "Get in and go to the airport and once your there book a ticket and run. You can't stay with them Heidi, or anyone else.
There will be people out there coming after you, if the whole thing with your father being a drug lord is true."

"I-uh-but what if I get caught?"

We were right at the school entrance doors. She turned to me abruptly, curly brown hair hitting my face. I blew a raspberry to get it out my mouth and surprisingly tasted something sweet. "What shampoo is that?"

"Grapefruit." She smiled. "I'll send you a link," I gave her a much appreciated thumbs up. Then she got back down to business. "I'll make something up if any of the Genovese ask for you," this was really happening. "Once you've made it to your gate, text me," she pulled out a phone. "This one is extra, I keep it for emergencies. "

I grabbed it in tight, clammy hands and looked at her wide eyed. "Why the hell do you have two phones?"

Esma shrugged. "You don't?" I shook my head. "It's for emergencies like I said. Don't call anyone else, only me. Someone might track you," She checked my other palm with her wad of cash and nodded. "Good, you've still got the money."

   "Why are you helping me?" I murmured, mildly confused. I mean we weren't that close, close enough to talk about how much boob we'd grown over the weekend. But not enough to talk about ingrown hairs and sweaty-pad syndrome.

   As if in answer, she grabbed my cheeks and pulled me closer before I could realise what was happening, and placed a kiss on my lips. I blushed, completely frozen. "Because, I've always wanted to do that," she whispered with a grin.

"I-wha-um-I-yes-okay-uh-cool."

Esma chuckled whilst pulling away. "Don't worry, I know you don't like me like that. I just needed to do that for myself," I am...gimme a sec. I'm rebooting. "I hope you make it, Heidi. Good luck ," and just like that, leaving me gaping at her back she casually walked away, practically skipping - again where are the fucking disney cameras?! - and disappeared round the corner.

I touched my lips, then my head and my heart for good measure and finally my stomach. She kissed me! Like mouth to mouth without the dying. She fully kissed me! What fucking alternate reality did I step into? Am I gay? I'm not gay, I'm British.

"You can't do shit Le Santi," a voice broke me out of my existential crisis. I jumped behind a trophy case next to the main doors and peered in front of me. There, just outside the boys toilets stood a furious Cruz, looking seconds away from punching a smug Giovanni.

Shit shit shit shit. If they saw me I was dead.

"I can do whatever the hell I want," Cruz stated, darkly. My cousin never looked so serious. It was freaking me out a little. "Alexie's gone, and I know Faust made some deal with him, but fuck that. I want her safe with me,"

Gio glared at him. Both boys almost snogging.

"You can't just go and scrap the whole agreement. You were there when he signed it, Alexie already told you. She stays with us now." Contract? What contract? He chuckled to the ceiling coldly before looking back at Cruz. "It's cute how protective you are of her, pity it's going to waste. She doesn't need you anymore, it's time she learnt what being part of the family means. You get what I'm saying, ?"

Begrudgingly Cruz nodded.

   "She's going to have to learn to fight. Alexie didn't leave her with us if he knew she wouldn't have been able to handle it. Heidi isn't weak, you saw what she did to Bishop. She may be dumb and annoying as hell, but the girl is not weak." I resisted the urge to do a hair flip. "She needs to learn when to use her strength properly, learn the insides and outs of the trade, become strong enough to take over the business,"

   "But she's still eighteen," Cruz argued.

   Gio shrugged, moving to walk away. "Then she's lucky. You and I both know what it's like to start early." He paused, contemplating something. "Does she know everything?"

   Cruz frowned. "Apart from Alexie and the whole drug thing?"

   Gio nodded.

   "Then no, she knows nothing." Cruz then walked through the bathroom door and Giovanni walked away, heading to the canteen.

   And you wanna know what I did? Well, I made my final decision. I was going to run away and start a new life somewhere in the Netherlands. Okay fine, I'm joking...I meant Bora Bora.