Alone

You'd lost sight of him.

You'd lost sight of Ban again.

You'd ran after him with all your might, but you still weren't able to reach him...

...just like what happened all those years ago.

Alone at some unknown location within the Capital of the Dead, you stood as shivers wracked your body. There was a buzzing in your ears and the sound of your heart pounding rapidly was all you could hear along with your accelerating breathing patterns. Your vision swam as a wave of dizziness hit you, making the world around you sway and feeling cold all over your body thanks to the cold sweat that dripped down your back.

You wanted to vomit, lie down on the ground, and curl up into a fetal position to drown your surroundings out. Everything was too loud and too silent at the same time.

You felt like you were dying.

══════════════════

That was how Elizabeth and Hawk found you after reaching King.

Passed out on the cold, hard ground and convulsing every now and then. Bright red scratches covered your arms and hands as your face contorted in obvious pain.

Never had Hawks run as fast as he did at that moment.

By the time the trio had arrived where the others were, the fight was mostly concluded already.

"HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!"

The boar's loud shouts drew everyone's attention, a collective smile of relief on their faces as they expected the princess and you to arrive safely atop Hawk.

The last thing they expected to see was your unconscious form as Elizabeth did her best to hold you lest you fall off. Your skin was so pale and sickly, sweat dripping down in rivulets as you breathed heavily and frequently released low groans of pain.

Ban felt his heart stop at the pitiful sight you made.

He immediately sprints from his spot, scooping you up in his arms and clutching you firmly to his chest. The Fox Sin whispers indecipherable words into your ears as he rocked you slowly and rubbed your back, showing a rare moment of vulnerability and ignoring the world and the people that saw him in this state of distress.

"It's gonna be okay, chicky. I got you now and I'm not leaving you any time soon, alright?"

Elaine could only gaze at the back of her first love with a forlorn expression. She knew that she would always have a spot in his heart, but not the spot she desperately wished for.

At least, not anymore.

As he comforted and coaxed you with seemingly practiced ease, the fae could no longer deny that he had already completely moved on.

And it was about time she did the same.

Still, that didn't stop that small part of her heart from wishing the circumstances were different. It was she who'd met Ban first and fell in love with him, so didn't she also deserve to be happy with him?

"...Ban...?" Your voice was so feeble when you woke up, teary eyes looking up at the light blue-haired man.

"I'm here, chicky. I'm here"

A bittersweet taste lingered in Elaine's mouth at the sight you two made.

"I...I'm glad I was able to see you again, Ban."

But those words never reached Ban's ears, for he was too preoccupied with fussing over you.