Episode 28 (Part 3)

"Alright the husband went, let's go" i whispered pulling Gintoki with me into the room. "Thank you for bringing all of these" Mitsuba chuckled as i handed her a bag full of spicy rice crackers. "Welcome but make sure you don't eat too much. You very well know you shouldn't be eating these" "Yes mother i know" she laughed at my words before offering me to have some. "T-Thank you but um.. " my eyes averted to the basket of fruits on the table "I'll have a banana if you let me" "Yes, of course! What about you Gintoki-san?" "B-Banana as well please" he squeezed onto my shoulders helpless as i giggled to myself. "Well, what about you? Need one?" Gintoki asked peeling the banana causing me to look at him in confusion. "No, thank you. I always carry sausages on my spy mission"

"Areh? Is this, Yamazaki-san?" the 3 of us peered under the bed and saw a full grown man hiding under it. "Dammit!" he cursed himself realizing his mistake and the fact that his cover was blown. That lead him to groan in frustration causing him to hit the bed with his head unknowingly. "And now you have a bump. Come on out. Let me see it" i told him gently but he didn't seem to budge from his position. This made Gintoki kick Yamazaki continuously until he came out. The 4 of us chatted for quite some time until the visiting hours was soon over. Why would he be here? Is someone asking him to keep an eye on her? these thoughts lingered through my mind as i stared at Yamazaki. After we bade farewell to Mitsuba and got out of the room, we two were dragged by Gintoki to the hospital rooftop. As he questioned Yamazaki persistently, he spoke out and said something very unexpected.

Gintoki- Does she know that?
Yamazaki- No, chief told me not to tell anybody.
Gintoki- You told me!
*a sudden whack on Yamazaki's head*
Yamazaki- Ouch! That's because you ask-
*another whack to silence him*
Gintoki- Because i what?
*a whack was to given Gintoki by yours truly*
Hanae- Stop it Gintoki. You asked him about her.
Gintoki- Owie! I did it because of you!
I stared at the man in confusion
Hanae- What? Why? I didn't ask you to!
Gintoki- No but your face did.
My eyes widened slightly hearing his words. He noticed..
Hanae- W-What do you even mean?!
Yamazaki- Get a room already you two!

Next Day

Gintoki and Mitsuba was chatting as usual when i left the room to buy a few drinks. Upon my arrival i saw Mitsuba suddenly broke out in a coughing fit. Blood spurted through her mouth as she coughed. The drinks in my hands slipped and before they could hit the ground, i was long gone to fetch the doctor. "HELP!" luckily the doctor who took care of her was near making it easier for me to grab him before rushing over to her room. The doctor told us that Mitsuba needed to be admitted to the intensive care unit immediately. While they carried her to the room on a stretcher, me and Gintoki also followed the team. I grabbed her bloody hands and she gripped it tighter. "You'll be alright. You need to fight this. Fight this and come back to us, to Sougo" tears slipped through my eyes as i spoke. It seemed like she wanted to say something to me but the oxygen mask was in the way and since it couldn't be removed we had no other chat.

We couldn't go inside the room so we had to stand outside and just wait for the news. Gintoki was gone for a minute before he came back with wet tissues. "She's gonna be fine" he wipped my hands gently as he spoke. "I.. I don't wanna lose her Gintoki" tears escaped through my eyes and before i knew it, i broke out in tears. "Darling, all we can do is just pray from here" he kissed my forehead and hugged me with care as if i was made of glass. One wrong move and I'd break into pieces. I wrapped my arms around him and sobbed into his chest, making a mess out of his clothes. I don't know how long we were in that position until someone cleared out their throat. "Doctor! How's she?" i grabbed onto his arms for answers. "Her condition suddenly got a lot worse. It's looking pretty bad right now. Her family should be prepared for the worst outcome. They should be notified immediately" my hands slowly slipped from his arms as i took in the harsh reality.

At the doctor's order, the nurses called Sougo and Mitsuba's husband and told them about her condition. Gintoki made me sit on a bench and then laid his head on my lap. "What are you doing here?" i whispered running my hand through his soft silky hair. "You wanna stay here right? Then get some rest" "I can't-" "Trust me baby. Also, i get a feeling that we might be able to witness something good. So let's stay here for the time being" he said before wrapping his hands around my waist and burying his face onto my stomach. I trust you with my life, Gintoki i slowly shut my eyes and got lost in the darkness. But of course i couldn't sleep, not even a wink. Why you ask? First, because I was worried. Second, there was a big uproar among Kondo-san and Sougo. Third, Yamazaki brought in a very troubling message to Kondo-san. Forth, after Kondo-san and Yamazaki left to go after Hijikata, Sougo sat on the ground and rested his head on my knees before talking about his past until he finally bawled out.

------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued.