birthday boy (mgg)

The one where Matthew acts strange on his birthday and you can't figure out why

~~~~~~~~~~

For Matthew's 41st birthday, you knew you needed to do something special. After three years of marriage and a small newborn baby, he deserved something special.

Because your son was so small and you were in a pandemic, you both decided to keep his birthday to the three of you. Your son, Griffin, was barely three months old and you and Matthew were exhausted. The plans you made for his birthday were simple, let him sleep through the night, let him sleep in, make him pancakes for breakfast, and spend the entire day doing whatever he pleased. Obviously your plans included a very enjoyable night, but you didn't need to tease him on his birthday.

The night before his birthday he was acting strange, upset. You were extremely worried about his mental health recently, especially with all the hate he had been getting. No one knew about your son because Matthew was convinced you would receive immense amounts of hate.

"Matthew, what's wrong?" you asked, laying in your bed, your head on his chest.

"Nothing," he responded, unconvincingly.

You sighed, deciding you didn't want to fight, "okay, if you need to talk to me, I'm always here. I am your wife." You giggled.

Matthew laughed, "I will let you know soon, I'm worried it might change things."

"I'll wait, but know, nothing is ever going to change how much I love you," you said, placing a small kiss on his jawline.

Matthew squeezed you tighter as you fell soundly asleep.

3 AM came around and your peaceful slumber you were feeling was interrupted by the sharp cries of your son.

Matthew began to get up, "no, Matthew, go back to sleep," you said holding him down. "Happy birthday baby."

"Thank you, I owe you," he said, immediately falling back asleep.

Walking into your son's room, you were rushing to help sooth his cries, "Hi Baby, Mommy's here." After rocking him and reading your favorite bedtime story, Rumple Buttercup, you were able to sooth your son asleep. You quietly walked back to your room, making sure not to wake Matthew up. When you got to your bed you noticed Matthew was sound asleep, so you made sure to get into bed quietly.

You kept pondering why Matthew may have been upset earlier in the night, but nothing stood out. Because of this, you decided to go back to sleep to get ready for the rest of the day.

The next morning, you woke up before hearing the cries of your son. Matthew was sleeping soundly next to you. You decided to grab Griffin and put him in the rocker you had located in the kitchen so you could begin breakfast.