Harmless Old Man

I was digging through shelves, there wasn't much left. Lady luck hasn't been kind lately. She really never was, but I got off lucky for most of it. I heard a growl and I turned around to face the zombie. I grabbed my club and just whacked it. "Mercy." I muttered, thought my cloth. I bent down and checked it's pockets. He had one bullet, but no gun. Sad. I turned back and looked again. There was nothing. I ran to the door and into the hallway. I looked both ways before running left. I ran past so many doors to other apartments. Some zombies turned to me and I shook my head. I turned to one doorway and ran in. I slammed it shut and I shoved a small piece of wood in the gap of the door. I grabbed my club and spun in my hand. I took a few steps as I looked around. There was banging on the door, turning to face it, I saw that the wood wasn't going to last long.

I ran to the sliding door and onto the balcony. I grabbed the railing as there was a loud thrud. I turned to see that the zombies had gotten in. I quickly jumped and landed on the next door. I slowly stepped over the railing and hooked my feet into gaps. I held onto the bars and slowly bent close to my feet. I unhooked my feet and hung them down. I curved my legs and bent my back. I dropped my club to the balcony below me. I dropped myself and landed on the lower balcony. I opened the door and looked around. I bet down and grabbed my club. I ran to the door and looked at the opening. There were no zombies and I slowly opened the door. I looked both ways and ran right. I kept running until I heard a grunt. I stopped and slowly walked backward. There was an older looking guy holding back a zombie. He didn't see me and he looked to be having trouble.

I looked back down the hallway and stared. There was nothing coming and I turned to look the way I came. There was still nothing and if I left the zombies wouldn't see me and would be way behind me. I looked back to the guy. He was older and had a huge long bread. I sighed and grabbed my club again. I walked up and whacked the zombie. The zombie fell and I stared up at the older guy. Hie blue eyes staring back at mine. "Addy?" He asked and I tilted my head. "What?" I asked. "Sorry I thought you were--Thanks, kid." This man said in a chipper voice. I turned and ran off, the zombies were coming. They're alway coming. I ran the way I was going and there was a zombie. I grabbed it and shoved it into the wall. It grabbed my arm and tried to bite me. I kicked it and I grabbed it's head and quickly slammed it into the floor. I went to grab my club, but the zombie grabbed my leg and pulled me down. The club went flying ahead of me. I groaned as it slid away.

I turned and kicked the zombie's face. It growled at me as I kicked it again. It let go and I quickly got up and ran for my club. I heard it following me as I grabbed my club. I turned quickly as it kept running. I lowered my hand and swiftly slammed it's head into the floor. I pulled away and I heard more growling, loud growls. So much for not making noise. I turned and pulled out my gun. I took a shot and the zombie fell, only for two more to take its place. "You have to be kidding me." I muttered. I took a few shoots, killed one, but missed the other. I was out. I quickly dropped my gun and I grabbed my club again. I lifted my head to see the zombies were closer than I thought. I took a few steps back. I turned to see a zombie with a crowbar sticking out of its eye. The crowbar was quickly pulled out and the zombie fell. I came face to face with the older man I saved.

There was more growling. I grabbed the older guy's arm and pulled us into an apartment. I closed the door and locked it. I grabbed a chair and slowly put the chair under the handle as quietly as I could as if I didn't want to wake up my parents. I waited a moment and there was nothing. I slowly turned to the older guy and stared. He was digging into his bag he had and I blinked at him. I pulled my cloth down and took a deep breath. "Thanks." I said to him. He turned to me and stared. "What?" I asked. "Why do you wear that cloth?" He asked me, slowly. I popped my gum loudly as I stared at him. He turned back to his bag and pulled something out. "You have got to be kidding me." I said as I stared at the bag. All the people in the world and this guy pulls out weed. I just stared at the old man. He had to be in his fifths or maybe older with that white hair.

"Why are you alone?" He asked and I blinked at him. His tone sounded like he asked already. "Could ask you the same thing." I said back and he laughed. "My group was pulled apart not that long ago." He said. "Oh, I'm sorry for your-" I said only for him to stare at me. "What? No they're not dead. We just slip up, it's more like it. Kid ran off with his girl. And Warren and Murphy-" "Did you say Murphy? As in, 'I have the cure, come be free.'" I said and this old man stared at me. "Were you there?" He asked and I shook my head. "Maybe it was a good thing, kid." He said and I stared at him. He stared for a moment, before he turned away from me. The old man began to look around at the room we were in. "You are ok, right?" I asked and he turned back to me. "The zombie." I said and he looked down at himself. "I'm fine, darlin. Thanks for saving me." He said and I smiled at him. "You're welcome. And thank you for doing the same." I said. The older man just shuddered. "I can't say anyone would do it." He said and I nodded. "How did he sneak up on you?" I asked. "Guess I'm so used to having someone having my back." He told me.

"Then I guess you need someone." I said. He stared at me from a moment. "You're going to trust an old man you don't know?" He asked and I shook my head. "If you were with 'The Murphy.' You were trying to save the world...right? We shouldn't be alone." I said and he stared at me. "We really shouldn't be alone." He said, mostly to himself. I slowly stuck my hand out and stared at him. He took my hand and stared back at me. "Doc." He said and I smiled. "You're a little tall, aren't you?" I asked and he chuckled. "Right sorry, Maya." I said as I stopped laughing.