✮ FIFTY TWO ✮

Mila's pov

It was a nice feeling, like a childhood memory being polished off. The sounds of 'It's a Wonderful Life' playing like a radio in the background, fuzzy and crackling in the back of her mind as her eyes stared passed the television.

With April, who had taken quite the liking to Mila, snuggling into her side whilst playing with her battered pink teddy bear. The little blonde girl had barely left her aunties side, telling Mila about all of her toys and her favourite books. It brought a smile to her face, knowing that despite their lost years she could have a relationship with her niece.

"I like this one" April pointed to the movie, "even if it is in black and white" she smiled, showing off her milk-white teeth.

"I like it too..." Mila smiled down at her, pulling the small girl closer.

Lisa had wandered upstairs an hour ago, taking the twins for a bath them then put them to bed, probably passing out too and, despite the armchair being free now, Louis still sat on the floor.

He had hardly been able to look in its direction since their father had died, too many images of him sat there as they walked through the door flew around his head when he did.

The room was quiet as the movie finished, the credits rolling past as light music played in the background, a slight buzz in the air.

Suddenly, a loud sound caught the attention of everybody in the room, their heads snapping to the hallway where the front door had swung open, the lock making a large cracking sound.

"Ja, you got any sugar you can give us a borrow of?" A gruff voice called as slow footsteps walked in, "Kyes come back from his mams with strawberries, wants to dip them in-" he stopped as he got through the door, his sentence stopping as he's eyes stopped on Mila.

"Is that our Mel?" He smiled, showing his few missing teeth, one of his eyes closed as he did so, "all grown up"

Alan was only a short man, his greying ginger hair shaved short, a bald patch that had been there since Mila was a child. He had worn the same brown cargo shorts and blue jumper since she was young too, however now he adorned a strapped on oxygen mask in a blue backpack, the wires coming over his shoulders and to his nose.

He looked more run-down than he had three years ago. His tanned skin a bit lighter, his wrinkles a bit deeper, his blackened fingernails outgrown from years of smoking.

Yet, despite his withered look, he looked happier than ever. The same smile he had sported her whole childhood, eyes twinkling just as bright.

"Our Melly, Molly, Mandy" he shook his head, his voice hard to understand if you hadn't known it for a long time. Alan used the little rhyme he had throughout her childhood, changing the common song to fit her name.

Mila remembered the betrayal she faked when she found out that it wasn't the actual saying, but underneath she felt special.

"Hi, Uncle Alan" Mila smiled, standing up to pull the short man into a hug, him squeezing her, "I missed you"

"I missed you too lass, gone too long" he nodded once, his heavy steps were heard on the laminate flooring as he walked across the room, his face contorted with slight pain as he carefully sat down in the arm chair, relieving his back from the pressure of carrying the oxygen bag.

"I'd say" Janine cut in, tapping her hand against Mila's thigh as she did so, a smile that hadn't left her face since Mila got there was bright throughout the room.

"You'll need to tell us all about your fancy life in France," he commented before his eyes flickered to April, who had been wriggling since he entered, a bright smile on her lips, "tell our April about eating snails" he made a fake disgusted face as April grimaced.

"Ewww," she moaned, "you eat bugs?" Her innocent eye flickered up to Mila before she pushed herself from the couch, running towards her great-uncle as fast as her little legs would take her, "save me uncle Alan" she giggled as she climbed his body, resting finally on his lap.

"I've got you, lass" he spoke calmly before grabbing her tighter, his hand attacking her stomach in tickles as her melodic laugh filled the living room, drowning out the television.

"Stop! Stop, daddy help!" She managed to shout in between laughs, her arms outstretched towards Louis who made a point of looking in the other direction, purposefully making sure his daughter could see him side-eyeing her, which only pushed the blonde girl to laugh more.

"Stop! Please" she sighed one last time before he stopped, his deep chuckles runnings long side her light laugh. As soon as he stopped moving she ran, tripping slightly over Louis' feet as she ran with outstretched arms to Janine.

"Nana, help!" She giggled again, Janine's face a figure of happiness as she pulled her granddaughter close.

"I've got you gorgeous, don't you worry"

It was then that Mila realised what she had really been missing. Sure, she'd missed out on the superficial things in the last few years; the twin's births or Aprils first words or even her cousin's first day at school. But none of that mattered compared to the emotional attachments that she had missed, the childhood giggles that were scarcely heard in London or Paris.

So for the next few days whilst she was home that's what she planned to take advantage of, the time she got to spend with the people she loved.

"You making a cuppa, Lou" Alan lightly tapped Louis shoulder from where he sat, whos face fell in disbelief.

"Don't you start"

———————
Written: 9th March 2021
Published: 14th March 2021
Lil wholesome lil ting
Happy morhers day :)