✮ FOURTY ✮

Mila's pov

"I don't care how sentimental you're trying to be," Mila sniffed as she took another swig of the Vodka, holding it by the neck as her other hand was buried around her waist, a feeble attempt to stay warm, "we aren't swimming in there!" He laughed, thinking back to their latenight dip in Spain.

"Reckon we'd come out with extra toes" Harry agreed, nodding as he took the bottle from her, taking a mouthful. Staring into the murky water of the Themes.

Mila watched as he made a face, before taking another swig, he was probably taking more to get the heat rush through his body. It was baltic. The only thing keeping her somewhat content was his arm firmly secured around her shoulder, pulling the smaller girl into his warmth.

"You'd should be used to extra toes, with all the incest in your blood" she poked fun, running her fingertip gently across the prominent veins on his knuckles, biting her lip softly.

"Very funny" he nodded, flexing his hand as he noticed her light drawing.

They were silent for a few minutes, taking in the reality of their situation.

They were effortlessly clinging to the near memory of how they sat in the sands of Spain, looking out into the starry night, hearing the splashes of the beautiful Spanish sea. Except now they were sat huddled together in the cold nighttime air of London, the pebbled beach making uncomfortable imprints on their skin as they listened to the loud buzz of the city.

But, the differences didn't mean that the moment meant any less to Mila.

She was with Harry, and that was the real reason she was remembering the moment. Not the feeling in the air or the smell of late-night takeaways still open; no, she'd remember how his arm felt as it weighed her down, how his thigh felt pushed against hers for warmth, how his breath hit her neck in the perfect rhythm.

It was so soon, yet so right.

This was what had been waiting for her around the corner. She'd been stuck down a dark ally of pathetic boys trying desperately to earn their 'dickhead' badge to become a man, playing with her heart and feelings to rank higher amongst their friends.

But it was different with Harry. He was a brand new road, a cul de sack of memories waiting to be made, closed at the end where, hopefully, they'd spend the rest of their time.

But Mila knew that might not be their future, she knew better than most that people can leave in an instant. Would she let that stop her from at least trying? If the read forked and they fell out of this lulling rhythm together would she appreciate the experience or regret the time that made her hurt?

Would she-

"So why did you go to Paris?" His voice cut threw her nervous anxiety-filled thoughts.

"What?"

"You told me why you came back" he explained, stopping to take another drink before pushing the half-empty bottle into her hand, slurring his words ever so slightly, "but you never told me why you went to Paris in the first place"

He was right.

In fact, she was actively avoiding telling him why she had left for the city of love at such a young and tender age.

"Lucy wanted to go" she spoke briefly, looking out to the dingy boats bobbing across the water.

"You do everything she says?" He raised an eyebrow, staring at her side profile intently.

"I did" Mila admitted, "She was all I had, for a while" she licked her lips before taking another swig, this one significantly bigger than the last.

"What about your family, you said you had a brother" he spoke like it was a question.

"Two" she corrected, the inside of her cheek being chewed to pieces as the conversation continued.

"What about them?"

It wasn't his fault.

Harry wasn't purposely pressing on this closed scab, drawing blood from something she'd tried so hard to cover up. She couldn't blame him, but that didn't stop the pain.

"You don't need to tell me" he spoke, sensing a line had been cross by how he face fell drastically.

"No...I want to," she finally looked back to him, "it's just-just, it's a long story" she stuttered.

"Take your time" he spoke, "from previous nights out experience with you, we've literally got all night" he joked, not too fond of the serious direction that their conversation had taken. He was awkward at the best of times, so now was no different.

"I was just about to finish my Alevel's" she started, "and Lucy had been out of school for a year or so, she never went on or got a proper job or anything, she just stayed at TopShop" Harry had to suppress a laugh, of course Lucy was the type of work at TopShop.

"She wanted to get out of Middlesbrough, at least for a little bit, but nobody would leave with her"

"Wonder why" he quipped, muttering an apology as he was met with an unimpressed look.

"I was living at home with my Mam and one of my brothers, Jack" she explained, "Louis, my oldest brother, lives in Manchester, he has a wife and...kids" she stumbled.

The last she knew Louis had three kids, she had two nieces and a nephew, yet had met only one of them.

"One night Jack never made it home," a deep intake of breath confirmed Harry's thoughts, "and then it was just me and Mam"

————————
Written: 11th February 2021
Published: 12th February 2021
Edited: 7th March 2023
Oh wow, the angst. And yes I did write this instead of doing course work
Double update enjoy :)