Chapter 15 - The Lewis Dinner

Start from the beginning

"I need to find a gift for Noah," Eve pleaded on the other end.

"Why? It's not his birthday," I answered hesitantly. Or was it?

I am probably the worst best friend for forgetting my best friend's birthday three years in a row. Luckily, I was forgiven after buying Noah a gallon of strawberry ice cream.

"No chill, it's just that he randomly bought me a gift, I need to buy him one too duh," she sassed. I could imagine her biting the tip of her nails.

"Okay... What about a watch?" I asked.

"Too sophisticated,"

"Hmm, a shirt?"

"Too basic"

"A PlayStation 5?"

"Too damn expensive,"

"A wallet?"

"Cheap," she did not take a breath to reply.

"Ugh, Eve just look for it yourself. I am hundred percent sure you can buy him the perfect gift. You have got to run though, the shops are closing in a-"

"THAT'S IT!" Eve screamed. I'm sure that she gained the attention of half the people at the mall.

"I am gonna buy him a pair of sneakers! Perfect, thank you Ky I know I can always count on you," she replied and hung up before I could flatter myself for being her nice friend. I stuffed my phone back on my pocket and took out my lip gloss. As I applied it to my dry lips all of a sudden I heard a scream. Then another scream. I rushed outside the bathroom to see what was happening.

Oh My God, no.

They were made of luminous undulations, threatening to blemish everything that went near it. Yet, they stormed in anger towards everything withing reach. They haunted me because they knew I was their easy prey. The fire was malicious, arrogant and it wanted to reign.

"Dad," I whispered. I looked around to see no sign of a sweaty forehead with a white chef hat. I was consumed by fear, my eyes wide and my brain refused to function. Shakingly my hand wiped the few tears that blurred my vision. This can't be happening. Not again, not the goal my dad tried so hard to achieve.

"Dad!" I screamed looking around the pandemonium engulfing me. I hurriedly ran to his office, the door was swiftly opened creating a loud bang on the wall. A gasp fell from my lips at the absence of my father. My heart thumped in sheer fear. Where are you dad?

"Dad where are you?" I shouted. No response.

I looked around to see that my only companions were the multiple waves of raging flames. Shakingly, I started walking towards the exit, just as I was about to get out I heard a cry.

"Mommy!"

"Who is there?" I followed the crying sound amisdt the shades of gold. "Mommy! "

My eyes basically popped out of their sockets when I saw the little girl holding her pink teddy bear. She must be five years old or so. Her eyes were tightly shut, her lips were quivering as she tried hard not to cry. Reluctantly, my legs made it's way towards the poor girl. "Uh, come here," I confided, picking her tiny self into my arms.

"Pwease find mommy," she whimpered.

"O-okay, put you head on my neck. D-don't sniff the s-smoke" I stuttered.

I looked around for any sign of life, the fire devoured my father's most precious achievment, made of sweat and sleepless nights. Just like that, everything was being terribly torn. I wanted to scream, tell it to stop, to disappear.

I did not find the girl's mother. The fire was making it's way to the Dinner's entrance. My heart incassently thudded on my chest. I could hear a buzzing noise on my ear and I was starting to get lightheaded. I needed to get us out of here, out of this inferno.

As I rushed to the door I could hear people screaming outside. The sound of sirens invaded a night which was supposed to be serene. The girl screamed and cried for her mommy while I walked away from the chaos, ignoring her pleading cries. My teary eyes refused to look back.

At last, I got out of a burning Lewis Dinner.

"Ally!" A disheveled looking woman ran towards us, tears mixed with mascara cascaded down her puffed cheeks. "Oh my God! Thank you, thank you so much for saving my girl!" The woman hugged me like her life depended on it. I was too paralyzed to say anything. My eyes were wide in shock as I stared at the nightmare facing me.

The Lewis dinner was destroyed.

I looked from the woman's shoulder and my eyes met mirroring green irises, they reflected the fire dancing triumphantly. My dad looked broken. His dream was completely shattered. Our little empire was gone.

My vision was blurred when his eyes met mine. "Let g-go," I whispered.

I pushed the lady aside with all the strength I could gather. She accidentally fell to the ground. Wide eyed I took one last glance at the Lewis Dinner and ran.

I ran as fast as possible, desperate to turn my back to this nightmare. Blustery, gusty winds brushed my bare skin as I ran until I was facing the beach. Anything could barely be seen as a result of the darkness that sheltered the night. Only the sound of crashing waves could be heard. Their presence could be felt. I ran my hands through my wavy hair.

After scanning the area to see if anyone was around I continued running and running until I was deep inside the silent forest. I was surrounded by towering trees which danced back and forth. The only source of light was the pale moon. Pale and sick yet, she brought life to the dead night.

My eyes widened when I stopped, facing a cabin. It's shadow-like figure could barely be seen if you didn't look close enough. It looked abandoned like an unwanted child left on it's own. I walked farther towards the small wooden cabin. It was old but old like fine wine.

I made my way towards the inviting site. Surprisingly, the door was not locked and without much effort I got in. I took my phone and turned it's flash on. Cunning cobwebs were swinging from side to side. Old dusty furniture decorated the place giving it a homey feeling.

Suddenly, something fell down to the floor causing a loud thud to echo through the cabin. My heart skipped a beat and I immediately focused my phone's light on the sound's direction. I let out a scream when I met a pair of glinting silver eyes. My body limply fell to the hard, cold floor and the last thing I heard was the thud of my head colliding with it.

Please feel free to share this story with your friends and family.

With love
Inaya