Chapter VII: Konoha

The rain poured down in Konoha.

The only time that the rain ever visited throughout the warmth of summer in the fire country. With this unexpected cold, the people that used to wander the streets are all cooped up in their homes, drinking cups of warm beverages and sharing a good laugh with indoor games and inside jokes. The children were on their own little world as they stare out longingly outside the dark environment.

The dampen atmosphere darken the whole forest surrounding the village, giving an awfully eerie sensation to two particular gate guards. Small water puddles has already accumulated in the beaten down dirt path, and from it shows the disturbed reflection of the gray sky that overlooked the large sea of green.

A few distance into the woods stood a man in dark clothing. A cape draped over his armless shoulder. Long spiky hair looking damp and heavy as the rain continued to pelt on his figure. His pale skin looked as flawless as ever as his one visible eye stared into the distance.

Sasuke sighed.

3 weeks.

It's been three weeks since the rosette disappeared and it was starting to beat him down. He thought back to how Sakura acted once he came back, she was kind, welcoming, helpful, forgiving, disappearing- Sakura didn't deserve it.

'It should have been me-' Sasuke thought in regret as his mind raced to all the things he did as a rouge nin. How he let Orochimaru control him for power. How he tried to kill her.

Sasuke bit his lip and frowned.

Why was he even feeling this way? The number of decent communication he had with the pinkette can be counted with two hands and that included the two of them being on different sides of the chessboard. He shouldn't be feeling guilty. But he did.

Sakura had always been his fangirl, a vase, just there for decoration- he never gave her a second glance... So why was he so happy when he saw her look at him again on the same side of the battle?

He didn't know when it started. How or why it started. He promised ever since the massacre that he'll never let anyone close until he can take his revenge on his brother.

His heart had other plans though.

The bond, although almost inexistent, was there and it accumulated a warmth inside his heart.

He hated that warmth.

Because that warmth shows that he cared. He cared way before he can take actions. He saved Naruto in Wave before he can fight his brother. He saved Sakura in the forest before he can kill Danzo. He cared about his teacher who has guided him for a month just so that he won't die and be killed by the wild Ichibi jinchuriki.

And then he left.

Wishing that he can grow stronger and defeat the cause of the death of his family.

He left through the front door when civilians are scarce and the ninjas were busy in reconstructing the village. With a smaller group of ninjas doing patrols, it would be easier for Sasuke to leave. Or so he thought.

Sakura was there, at the front gate, wishing him to stay, warning him of what may happen. He didn't listen. Although his heart felt warm knowing she was willing to work with him, to follow him. It was stupid but he was grateful about it. Although, no matter how happy he felt for once, he didn't wish her harm, she was too weak to even defend herself from wandering rouge nins and he thought that Orochimaru wouldn't even think about accepting her.

All this time he pushed his feelings for his team, the closest to family he ever had. He pushed the warmth away for revenge and never realized what he felt for a certain pink hair girl.