7.01 PM
Emergency Call Centre

“Where are they?”

Boknim weeps on the phone, shivering ceaselessly. Her cries may sound weak due to her toughness but Joochan knows better. Not only can the officer hear her cries, he can hear her accelerating heartbeat and shortness of breath. This behaviour is common for anyone who is in Boknim’s situation.

“Are they coming? Why... Why are they taking so long? Are you not going to save me?”

Joochan lifts his eyes off the screen and stands up. Seungmin notices his newly appointed Chief's abrupt movement, looking from the corner of his eyes.

“I must have been led on...”

“Ani,” Chief Hong says with a firm voice. “The patrol officers are on their way as we speak. Please don’t give up, Boknim.”

“Jinjja?”

Joochan smirks alittle, noticing a damper in her heartbeat. “Jinjja. This Oppa will make sure you get out of there alive.”

Hearing the informal approach, which is quite expected from the handsome officer, Seungmin joins him in smirking. What a ladies’ man.

Boknim sucks in a sniffle. “If I listen to Oppa, I will get out safely, right?”

“Oppa promise you. We will have a meal together to celebrate it too, araso?”

Boknim nods despite tears spilling over her cheeks. “Gomawo, Oppa.”

“You cannot give up, ara, Boknim-ah. Now, you need to help us find where you are exactly. Do you remember anything before you entered the room?” Joochan starts to pace up and down the floor. “Perhaps the streets, a landmark, anything?”

“Playground...”

Joochan marches to Seungmin’s desk, as the assistant manager is already searching any playground in the area.

“I saw a playground. He turned away from the left of it.”

Seungmin points to the location of the playground on his monitor and looks up at Joochan for acknowledgement. Getting a nod, Seungmin sends the coordinates to the patrol officers.

Boknim hugs herself tightly and looks around. She then shuts her eyes, recalling anything useful.

“I passed out so I can’t remember... But there was something colourful.”

“Colourful, is that right?” Joochan straightens and looks at the map which is expanded on the wide screen.

“Yes, lights... Colourful lights. Quite bright. Red, white, blue, ... I can’t see what it was clearly.”

“Thank you, Boknim. You did great.”

Seungmin highlights the possible routes on the map, checking on any available camera he can hack on. Joochan paces closer to the big screen and places one hand over one side of his earpiece, hoping to cancel the external voice and amplify the smallest sound inside the radio.

Joochan hears a sound too unique to ignore. During his conversation with Boknim, the unique sound has been revolving in a consistent beat, short distinct intervals in between. The sound is as similar as sweeping a brush against the wooden surface.

Biting his fingernail, Joochan murmurs to himself. “What is it? I heard it before. Think, Joochan, think.”

“Chief Hong,” Seungmin distracts him. “I have highlighted four abandoned buildings within the radius of ten feet from the playground. Unfortunately, I could not obtain any visual through the surveillance cameras. As of now, only four patrol officers from Seogu and Burim Division have arrived.”

“Noted,” Joochan switches his radio to the channel which the patrol officers listen to. “Officers, this is Call Centre. The victim mentioned a playground and the perpetrator has taken the route on the left side of the playground. She also saw colourful lights of red and blue. We will send you four possible locations. Please hurry.”

7.03PM
Eunhyeong-dong
T-junction three feet from the playground

Sungyoon climbs out of the car and greets the two officers from the other division.

“Just the two of you?” Sungyoon grunts, feeling uneasy with the lack of manpower. “Kure. Let’s go.”

Sungyoon leads the way, three officers on his tail. When they reach the coordinates sent by Seungmin, Sungyoon looks around and points to two separate directions, assigning the other officers so that they can search faster.

“Start with that alley, you two. Radio me if you find anything,” Sungyoon instructs and looks at his fellow officer. “You come with me.”

“Okay.”

Sungyoon jogs down the slope with his partner, combing his environment as he looks for anything suspicious. He then recalls what Joochan said in the radio.

“Colourful? Red and blue?” Sungyoon mutters to himself and he spots a dark alley from the corner.

The two of them sneak into the lightless alley. Sungyoon switches on his torchlight, sweeping the light on a wooden wall with several posters pasted randomly.

“Colourful?” Sungyoon examines the posters. “Could it be like this?”

Sungyoon and his partner exchange glances, showing absolute uncertainty of their findings. Sungyoon paces closer and enters a rundown house without a door. He shines his torchlight everywhere, having a hunch that the kidnapper would bring the girl at a similar place like where he is now. Nonetheless, it is too quiet and too good to be true that Boknim is here.

The more he enters, the more he becomes curious. Noticing a door ajar, Sungyoon leaps and opens it in a flash. A cat jumps out in fright, giving him nothing but disappointment.