Call Three

November 25, 2017

1.00PM
Courthouse

“Ko Dongcheol, the suspect found Kim Jihye, who was trying to send food to her fiance that night.”

The prosecutor by the name of Seo Hanjin began the trial, explaining the incident occurred a week ago. Sungyoon was sat at the first row behind the fence, spectating with an expressionless face and slouching posture. Donghyun was next to him, mentally and emotionally supporting him.

Before the trial began, Donghyun remembered his prosecutor friend, Bong Jaehyun’s words. During the funeral, he was not thinking straight about what Jaehyun was saying but now that he reflected on it, he could not help but feeling guilty if the guy in that prison clothes was not the true suspect.

Donghyun was too engrossed in his thoughts that he did not realise he was staring at the defendant. The man by the name of Ko Dongcheol caught his stare and what he did next shocked Donghyun.

He smirked, rather teasingly towards Donghyun.

Donghyun looked away and frowned, wondering if that was a sign that things would go wrong in any moment. He glanced at Sungyoon who continued to remain in his silence, probably hoping the trial would end very soon.

Sungyoon has not been eating well these days, forget about even getting a night sleep. Donghyun could tell that Sungyoon had not even glanced at the suspect even once. He probably refrained himself from doing that because he could not bother raising a fist at the criminal who was about to be sentenced for life imprisonment.

“While the suspect dragged the victim to an alleyway and sexually assaulted her,” the prosecutor continued his statements, avoiding contact with Sungyoon’s deadly eyes. “The victim fought back vigorously.”

The television screen lit up, showing a photograph of the victim’s head, pixelated to censor the gore image.

The prosecutor pointed at the screen. “The suspect hit the victim about 30 times with his weapon, making dents on her skull and destroying her myelencephalon. It was truly a horrendous way to kill a person.”

Sungyoon stiffened, watching the pictures on the screen, in denial that the woman it was showing was Jihye. Donghyun looked down, unable to bear watching the deceased in her last moments of her life. At the back of the court, Prosecutor Bong Jaehyun stood and leaned against the wall, crossing arms and forcing himself to watch the injustice being played right before his eyes.

If the verdict went through too smoothly, that the defendant would receive the punishment and they would close the case blindly, Bong Jaehyun would not hesitate to intervene.

“Moreover, the suspect did this heinous crime while the victim was still alive,” Prosecutor Seo stated.

Hearing such statement made Sungyoon lean to the side, loosening his jaw. Donghyun turned his head almost immediately, ready to hold Sungyoon back if he was feeling triggered.

“Your Honour,” the lawyer representing the defendant stood. “The defendant has already said that he was drunk that night and he remembers nothing.”

Prosecutor Seo rebutted instantly. “The defendant is insulting the court in attempt to reduce his sentence.”

Prosecutor Seo soon noticed Prosecutor Bong at the back, and he blinked away in disgust. Prosecutor Bong tapped his fingers on his arm, scrutinising every move his rival was making. Knowing that his every step during the trial was being watched by the young intelligent prosecutor, Prosecutor Seo could not help but feel nervous.