What it Takes to be a Woman

Magsimula sa umpisa

Have you been so shocked in your life that you just sat there, stared blankly and let life fuck you up? Although yes, I can leave, but I can think of nothing, but how hopeless I was during the time. I was glad he didn't touch me anything more private, otherwise I might as well kill myself then. It's only just my breast. He took his time to touch and feel it when I was unable to do anything out of shock until we reached my destination. I was unable to stand up right away. My body wouldn't budge, but the man was already out of my sight. The ticket inspector has to gain my attention to snap me back to reality.

The second most shocking sexual harassment I went through was three years ago. Yes, when I was 21 years old. I don't know how to deal with men then. I was this naive, silent provincial girl. Let me just say what what I was wearing. I wore a striped blue cardigan with a white shirt underneath. I was also wearing denim jeans and that's when I began wearing my eyeglasses. Yes, still nothing sexual. No sexy clothes. Nothing seductive. I was looking like a nerd at the time. My teammates then mainly consist of boys. Although, they are the reason I have learned to deal with men and to be who I am now. These are the guys who taught me how to sharpen my words to hurt men's ego so that they would stop bothering me and would leave me alone. Well, they did not teach me anything--- I had to educate myself because of their bullshit. I still remember how I experienced verbal harassment almost every day until I learned to speak and threatened to report to HR. The others are manageable, except their leader. The man was a pervert. He's that narcissistic pig who thinks all the girls will love him. He's that prick who believes the world revolves around him. He was always asking me to have sex with him. Yes, but he always says that jokingly. As naive as I was, I don't want any enemies, I tried to endure the insults. Let me give you some examples, he would say that he is good in bed and if I want him, he can take me to heaven. He laughed as if it was funny. He would also comment how he wants to erase my lipstick from my lips and how my lipstick turns him on. He would also say that I should not be shy because single mothers are wild and that I should act like I should. He will laugh again. Yes, still very funny. Not. Note the sarcasm.

Our office was on the fourth floor. It was my lunch. I was only by myself, minding my own business when that old fart took the elevator with me. The moment we step inside the elevator, the sexual harassment began. He began to walk closer to me despite the empty space around us, invading my personal space, as we are the only people in the elevator. I let him be at first, but then he started placing his hand on my waist. I glared at him and moved away, but that was a big mistake. He became bolder. I guess he thought I was playing hard-to-get. He trapped me in his arms in the elevator. Yes, like in the movies, but I was not happy. I was afraid and angry. He said all sorts of dirty things about me saying I was playing hard-to-get. He said he could easily read a girl like me. That I should be grateful because he can give me money and I was his type. I was mad. I was beyond furious. The audacity to say these things before me. So, I told him to stop or I'm going to scream. He didn't move door in the elevator opened. I was ready to make a scene and lash out on him, but do you know what he did? He just laughed. Like every time he spoke to me sexually disguised as a joke. He said I should calm down and take a joke.

These are just two examples of the countless of sexual harassment I experienced as a woman. I have been subjected to sexual harassment in numerous forms. Most of the experiences occurred when I was not wearing skirts or anything that shows my cleavage. The irony is that I wear clothes that reveal some of my skin, but I have not been sexually harassed anymore, physically or verbally. Although, there are still stares and catcalling but no one has dared touch me physically without my consent. I really do believe these perpetrators were not looking for a victim base on their clothes, but rather on how hopeless someone looks. I was a reserved and shy woman. I was the quiet type of woman until I suffered these things that forced me to change the way that I am.

As a woman, as soon as you speak, you will be labeled as crazy and difficult. As a woman, the moment you speak up and call men's bullshit, you will be the bad one. Why? Men can mess up, but they cannot handle hearing the truth about themselves. As a woman, we always need to appear perfect. In our society, it is easy to refer a woman as bad woman, just like it is easy to call a man a good man. As a woman, you have to be careful with what you say, how you dress, and how you present yourself in the world. It's bullshit, I know, but it is what it is.

Over the years, I was able to learn some techniques to fight these sexual harassers. I ain't taking no more bullshit. My friends knew that I always fought against things I find unreasonable. I hate bullies. I no longer allow men to make sexual harassing comments disguise in jest anymore. I no longer worry about being characterized as difficult and crazy. I no longer care if they see me as someone who cannot take a joke.

As a woman, I will dress how I want to dress, sexy and seductive. How their body reacts is none of my business. As a woman, I will stand up for what is right. As a woman, I won't let another woman lose her confidence. As a woman, I should not be afraid to call out anyone's bullcrap. As a woman, I shouldn't let a man treat me like someone he can use and dump me whenever he wants to. As a woman, I am aware of my choices and options. I'm not afraid of giving up on things that don't work for me. As a woman, we should not let narcissistic, selfish, self-centered men control what we do. We are we. You and I are women. We don't owe our existence to men. Men owe it to us. That my dear, is what it takes to be a woman.