Chapter 1: Hydra

You knew you had a life outside of Hydra, but you were not sure exactly what it was. This life was mission, wipe, mission, wipe, all in a never ending cycle. But there was one good thing about Hydra, the Winter Soldier. The two of you proved yourself being a good team and have been together on every mission since. He was kind to you and very protective of you, a relationship that was only allowed because of your work together. You had the most deaths in Hydra history, something that made you both desirable.

You cared less about the kills, and were just happy to have this one little piece of happiness in an otherwise terrible life. You did not know his name, and he did not know it either. You called him Soldier, a title that he came to like when you said it. He called you Shadow, your code name with Hydra had always been the winter shadow, a reputation you earned from being the quickest and stealthiest soldier within the organization. You figured you had a name before, but you have forgotten it a long time ago.

You were both given rooms to stay in instead of cells, a perk you earned after countless successful missions. The rooms were very minimalist, a small bed, a desk and a television that you never used. You enjoyed reading in your spare times between missions, so other agents would bring you stacks of random books, another perk you earned from being the best.

You had been in soldier's room a few times, he had quite the same set up but instead of books he was given sketch paper and art supplies. He never let you look at any of the things he painted or drew, but you liked this small piece of him that he never showed anyone else.

Life at Hydra base was hard, but you were glad for the company of the winter soldier, he made it at least bearable. It had been a while since you were assigned a mission and you were becoming bored so you decided to go to soldier's room and see what he was doing.

You knocked on the door softly before entering. "Hey soldier, what's-" before you could finish he grabbed a blanket and threw it over his desk, he must have been working on a new piece.

"God Shadow, at least wait for me to open the door," he said putting his pencil down and brushing his long hair out of his face.

"Sorry, I was getting bored," you said innocently plopping down on his bed and waiting for him to join you. He walked over and sat next you brushing a strand of your hair that had fallen out of your braid.

"Yea, I am bored to, wanna watch some TV?" he asked gesturing to his small television that looked like he had never used it before. There was a stack of movies next to it that had a thick layer of dust on it.

"I have no idea how to even use my TV and you have an endless stack of films," you laughed as he got up to turn it on.

"One of the other agents showed me how to use it, he sent me all of these movies to watch, but I have never actually touched them," he said pressing a few buttons.

"Well by all means, pick one and lets watch, it's not like there is anything else to do," you said repositioning yourself on the bed to have a better view of the screen.

"This one looks good, I think," he said putting the disk in another device and pressing a button on the TV. A few ads popped up on the screen as the television came to life. Soldier made his way back to you on the bed and laid next to you as the movie started. After a few hours the movie ended and you glanced up at soldier who was already looking at you.

"I guess TV isn't that bad, I kind of liked it," you said smiling at him, "should we watch another one?"

He smiled at you and laughed, "sure, why don't you pick this one out." You got up and made your way to the stack of movies, you looked through a lot of them and decided on an action movie that looked interesting.

You turned and held it out for soldier. "Okay I picked one, but I have no idea how to get it to start." Soldier laughed as he got up and took the disc from you before getting it to start. The two of you spent the rest of the day watching old movies and laughing together. It was very late at night when you started another movie. You eventually fell asleep resting your head on soldier's shoulder. He smiled to himself as the movie ended and you did not move. He would never admit it aloud, but he loved spending time with you, you were his one piece of happiness just as he was yours.