𝒶 𝒸𝒾𝓋𝒾𝓁𝒾𝓏𝑒𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓁𝓀

Start from the beginning

"Don't worry," Hanji puts her hands up sheepishly, "we're not here to interrupt your work. We'd just like to have a little chat once you're done!"

Jo watches deductively as a reproachful twitch crosses Niccolo's face. He hesitates, somewhat reluctant.

He doesn't seem particularly happy to see us... she thinks.

"About what?"

"Oh you know," Hanji improvises, not wanting to come off too strong, and starts pulling lame excuses out of her ass. "Just a heart-to-heart. We should catch up and—"

Onyankopon butts in. "It's about how the volunteer soldiers were arrested. We need you to answer some questions."

Niccolo takes the hint and leads them down the decorated halls to an empty dining parlor. Inside are multiple tables with fancy mantles, high-back chairs and two cupboards with an array of different wines on display.

Johanna ambles around. She doesn't know what Hanji is expecting to find here— and the scientist hasn't been cooperative when it comes to explaining what to look for. But hopefully the objective makes sense in Hanji's head. Jo stops at the cupboard and lights a cigarette. She reads some of the labels on the wine, checking for any exotic teas they might have stored in here. Maybe she can tickle Niccolo's generous side and bring some back for Levi.

Hopefully he's doing okay.

"Uh, Jo, can you..." Niccolo awkwardly points at the cigarette resting between her fingers.

Jo pauses, and with a disgruntled sigh, she obliges to his request by smashing the cigarette into the heel of her boot. She tosses it lazily into the nearest bin. Oh well. She's been planning on quitting anyway.

"Whoa! It's that wine the brass won't stop talking about!" Jean picks up a bottle of the shimmering red alcohol, holding it in amazement. "The good shit they only serve high-ranking officers..."

"Don't even think about it, you're on duty." Jo says with a roll of her eyes.

"Aw, come on, Jo. Just cause you're an acting lieutenant while Levi's gone doesn't mean you can kill the fun." Connie whines.

Jean grins excitedly. "Yeah, and don't we rank pretty high in the military? We should get to drink something nice once in a while, right? Just a li—"

"Don't touch that!" Niccolo rushes over and swipes the bottle out of Jean's hand.

An awkward silence falls amongst the group.

"What's the problem? We were just horsing around. Don't take it so seriously..." Jean says with a wary laugh.

Niccolo's face turns sour all of a sudden. "Don't touch it! This stuff is wasted on the likes of you Eldians!"

This statement causes Jo to raise an eyebrow. He was so nice these past few years. What's got him so wound up? And why is he clutching that bottle to his chest so tightly?

Everyone looks at the young chef, affronted.

"Niccolo..." Jean says disappointedly. "You're still saying stuff like that? Where someone's from doesn't matter when it comes to alcohol!" He grabs his collar, seeking out the friendly side of him, as if he can shake the hostility away.

But Niccolo only regards him coldly. "Don't touch me, Eldian."

He roughly puts his hand on Jean's and Johanna instinctively steps closer, her own arm twitching with a left-hook ready in case there's a need for defense. But Jean lets go and nods at her that it's okay. A hurt frown sinks into his expression.