Chapter 20

Raven didn't know where she was when she woke up. The memories came very slowly back to her. She turned her head and looked to her left. The Commander was lying there. Her face was pale. She looked unhealthy, weak and defenseless. Raven had a sudden urge to grab her throat and choke her for what she had done to Finn, but that urge was gone right away and replaced with something that she hadn't expected to ever feel for the Commander: Empathy.

There was no doubt that the Commander could be brutal and ruthless. But seeing her here, completely exposed and vulnerable, made Raven rethink some opinions that she had of the Commander. The Commander did her best to protect her people and prevent them from fighting each other. To do so, she has to do some ugly things. Raven didn't envy her. That did of course not mean that she would just forget everything that the Commander had done, but she did however acknowledge the fact that the Commander's actions should not be judged too quickly and harshly.

Raven turned her head away from the Commander and looked around. The room was similar to what rooms on the Ark looked like, but the design was a little different.

She sat up very slowly out of habit. It took her a moment to realize that something was off. She looked down at her legs. In disbelief, Raven stretched out her hand and stroked her injured leg lightly. Nothing. She did it again applying slightly more pressure. Still nothing. Curiously, she slid down from the examination table onto her feet. There was a slightly uncomfortable throbbing feeling around the wound that was the origin of her injury. Other than that, she didn't feel any pain. The scar of her wound was still there. Her leg didn't seem to be any different than before on the surface. She examined her leg, still in disbelief, while murmuring to herself that this was impossible.

"Not the first time that I have heard that", a voice startled her. Raven straightened herself and faced the door while asking, "Do I get to meet whoever fixed my leg?" But no-one was there. She was still alone in the room with Lexa who was still unconscious. "What the-"

Raven was interrupted by the same voice that had a weird accent. "Hello, I am Gideon. I am an AI."

When Raven still looked confused and didn't say anything, Gideon continued to explain how she had repaired most of the damaged tissue in her leg.

Sara came in right when Gideon was done with her explanation. "Hello, how are you feeling?"

Raven spun around and stared at the legends' captain for a moment before she answered. "I am feeling very good, thank you. But where exactly am I?"

"The Waverider. I guess you could call it a spaceship", Sara replied, still not wanting to disclose to anyone where they were really from.

"I didn't know that there was anyone else in space", Raven said more to herself than to Sara.

"We get that a lot", Sara still felt a need to reply. "Now, can you please come with me?"

The rest of her team that was currently on the Waverider and Clarke were waiting in the captain's office. When they were joined by Raven and Sara, Clarke spoke up. She explained the situation and the reason why they needed the mechanic to Raven.

"My team is prepared to help you with whatever you need. Behrad", Sara turned towards Zari's brother, "go with her. You know the Waverider well which might come in handy. Clarke", Sara looked at her, "you can maybe help them. Let me know, if you need anything." Then, Sara turned towards the rest of her team. "The rest of us are going to try to find something useful in the library." She looked around to make sure that everyone knew what they were supposed to do. She finished her instructions with: "Let's go and make black blood!"

Raven, Clarke and Behrad were on their way to Ray's former laboratory.

"I have never seen technology as advanced as this", Raven claimed.

Behrad nodded while looking around with a little pride. "Yes, it can be quite useful and has saved us more than once."

Clarke preferred to stay quiet and let the mechanics speak about technology.

"The AI is a lot more advanced that anything that I have ever encountered", Raven continued.

"Gideon makes everything work", Behrad explained.

Raven nodded. "The AI might be very helpful in finding a solution to our problem."

Behrad agreed. "So do you have any idea of how we can create the blood?", he wondered.

"Not yet", Raven replied, "but we will have a better idea of what he are dealing with once we examined it."

Right in that moment, they reached the laboratory. Raven took a quick look-around and made herself familiar with the tools. Then joined Clarke in front of a desk that had three vials on it. The vials were filled with a dark liquid.

She turned around to Behrad. "Is this the Commander's blood?"

"Yes, that is what Gideon managed to gather from her bandages and her wound before she closed it."

"OK. How much time do we have?"

"About two hours", Clarke replied warily.

Raven turned around and got to work right away.

John, Nate, Ava, Charlie and Sara were skimming any book that had a title which could even remotely have anything to do with nightblood. Mick was picking out books from high shelves whenever Sara or Charlie couldn't reach them.

Their research had not born any fruit so far. They had found a few paragraphs that had mentioned artificial and genetic alterations of blood, but all of them had been too farfetched to be deemed relevant for the creation of nightblood.

"Captain, I might have something", Nate announced suddenly.

He placed the book on the desk and was joined by everyone else after a few seconds. He pointed at a few words on a page in a book called "Technology in the Human Body". 

He read out loud, "The human body rejects foreign objects such as organ transplants or any other objects that were not originally part of the same body, including any technological implants. In an attempt to prevent this foreign body rejection, or FBR, after the implantation of a medical device, prosthesis, or biomaterial, scientists have been conducting various tests most of which have shown little to no success." Nate took a short breathing pause and continued, "The next few sentences deal with some unsuccessful tests. They are not very interesting for us right now, but the following is what caught my attention: The only tests that have exhibited results of interest were all conducted on blood. They include manipulations to certain blood components and its alteration." Nate looked up from the book.