Chapter 8: Desperate Souls

Enchanted Forest. Past.

Inside his tent, Rumplestiltskin is busy spinning when his son, Baelfire bursts into the house, shouting out," Papa, Papa! They've come for Morraine."

Rumplestiltskin grabs his crane and he and Baelfire leave the tent, listening as Morraine's father screams out in protest," No! No! Please!"

Morraine's Mother sobs out," No. Don't take her! No. You can't take her. She's my baby. Don't take my baby."

Ignoring the girl's parents protests, Hordor, the leading knight spat," Nonsense. She is a fine, strong girl. She'll make a fine soldier."

Morraine's Father objects," It's a mistake. She's turning fourteen. ONLY FOURTEEN."

Hordor dismisses him by stating," AT THE ORDERS OF THE DUKE! The Ogre Wars have taken their toll this season. More troops will turn the tide."

Baelfire looks at his father, saying to him in distress,
" They lowered the age again, Papa."

Rumplestiltskin puts his hand on his son's shoulder, nodding," I know."

Hordor then orders his men, ignoring the protest from the girl's parents," Take her. She'll ride with me."

Having no other options, Morraine's Mother draws her knife, attempting to attack Hordor

However right at that moment, a dark cloaked figure raises up his hand, freezing them and strangling them with magic.

Horror smirks at them," The Dark One seems to think I can."

With the parents being put in their place, Hordor and Morraine turns his horse, leaving the village.

Baelfire looks at his father, saying to him in a worried tone," My birthday is in three days. They'll come for me in three days."

Rumplestiltskin puts his arm over his shoulder, assuring him," We'll find a way. We'll find a way."

Storybrooke. Present. Mr. Gold's shop. Two week after Graham's death

Two weeks has passed since the death of Graham and things in Storybrooke have been rather strange.

Outside in the streets, Emma walks alone before approaching Mr. Gold's pawnshop, grabbing the hilt before opening the door.

Inside the shop, the Door bell rings as the door slides open, with Emma Swan stepping into the shop.

Emma calls out," Gold? In here?"

" Well, it is my shop..."

Emma enters the back of Gold's shop, only to halt and gag at a rather unpleasant stench," Whoa! What is that?"

Mr. Gold holds up a bottle, answering,
" Now, this is lanolin used for waterproofing."

" Smells like livestock." Emma remarks out as Mr. Gold shrugs," Well, it is the reason why sheep's pelt repel water."

" It stinks! Uhm." Emma then changes the subject,
" If there was a reason why you called the Sheriff's department. If you wanna talk about that quickly or... outside."

" Yes." Mr. Gold stands up as he says to her," I just wanted to express my condolences, really. The sheriff was a good man. You're still wearing the deputy's badge?"

Emma looks down surprised at that fact as he continues," Well, he's been gone for two weeks now. And I believe after two weeks of acting as sheriff the job becomes yours. You'll have to wear the real badge."

Emma nods, finding merit in the shopkeeper's words," Yeah, I guess... I'm just not in a hurry. So, uhm... thank you for the kind words."

She turns around, heading towards the door only for Mr. Gold to say," I have his things."