Chapter 3. The Tome of Rings

Start from the beginning

Thinking about that now made me desire the hot steamy refreshing water. I was cold, shivery, and extremely thirsty. My whole body had a layer of sweat, but with parched lips and a tongue that felt like cotton. I slothed into the bathroom and clicked on the little blue night-light in the socket, leaning over the sink. My long hair fell across my face while I turned on the sink and splashed my face with cool water. Cupping my palms I gulped at least two cups of water before feeling remotely satisfied, and a bit queasy. I don't do well with just water and no solids.

I was too tired to go to the kitchen. Just a nice bath would have to do.

I sighed in relief before shutting the bathroom door, locking it, and filling the bath with steaming water. I grabbed some lavender rock salt from the mirror cupboard, sprinkled some in the bath, and returned it to the cupboard. The smoky, floral aroma rose into the air and I inhaled deeply, followed by a drawn-out sigh of delight.

I lazily slipped off my purple spaghetti-strap night-gown and panties, letting them drop to the floor. Reaching my toes in to test the water I winced, pulling back. A bit too hot. I let the water run on cold for a minute before turning it off and entering the mini pool. The warmth spread throughout my body and left a hazy film over my eyes.

I'm in the clouds... so foggy and dreamy...

I dozed off.

I woke with a start. The water was barely warm. It must have been an hour I fell asleep. My hair is soaking wet and there's air bubbles in my ears. Suddenly I remember the library. Why do I have to visit the library today? A book... what if the tome of rings is there?!

Lazily pulling myself from the bath, I grab the clean purple towel and wrap myself in it. Instantly I black out and reach for the sink, leaning over it before regaining my eyesight.

"Woah," I muttered before taking a few deep breaths. "Never taking a hot bath in the morning again."

It made me feel all muggy and heavy inside. Especially with an empty stomach. It makes me want to go back to sleep... but it's time for school. I can hear Tanya blasting her songs from the other side of the door. She's probably dancing too.

I sigh and shake off a smile. That's my sis, alright. I wouldn't be surprised if her music woke me up. If you could call that music.

I wiped the film layer off the mirror and pulled out some lotion from the cupboard. Applying it to my lips and back of my neck, my skin cooled instantly. Returning the lotion to the cupboard I shut it and jumped back, startled by the reflection. My heartbeat skipped as I stared at the image behind me, a foggy face and broad shoulders. He should have been transparent and ghastly, but I could see his features clearly.

Etched broad jaw line... a long slender pointed nose, pale skin and a 5 o'clock shadow. Dark purple rings underneath grey eyes, and high cheekbones protruding through a thin non-elastic skin. Despite once wielding an attractive appearance, he looked deathly sick... and no longer transparent.

I felt so hazy I almost thought I dreamed him up. I hadn't seen him since that night out in my yard... what four days or so ago? Why did he show up now? I thought without these 'special' items he would be too weak to appear.

My breath stilled when his thin, chapped lips moved like brittle chalk, and he spoke in a low, haunting voice. "Three more to go..." My body froze when his hand lifted a lock of my hair. Swinging it back and forth in front of my eyes, I followed the motion. From that dark brown lock, a thin water stream trailed down my shoulders.

I mouthed the word "What?" and held in a gasp when he vanished instantly, the lock of hair released. No, dammit, don't go.

I sighed and shook my head. "I've already got one?" I muttered to myself. "Of course... Aqua. Water." I frowned. Why he didn't show up three days ago! I take a shower or bath every morning. Why did he show up now? What about this morning is different from all the rest?