Chapter 11

Reba~

I woke up at my crib with the sense that I was being watched. Slowly getting up, I felt where the eyes landed on me. I casually looked towards my window and a quick figure slid down it. What the fuck, I was on the top level of my apartments! It was 5 stories high.  I jumped up out of bed and slammed my window open.

I looked down trying to see what had been staring in at me. Nothing nor nobody was in sight. I looked up. Nothing. Maybe they had snuck into a lower level window. I slammed my window shut and locked it, pulling my curtains closer together. I took a close inspection of my room, then went to wash up in the bathroom.

Guilt was hanging over me like the night after a frat party. The last person I was expecting a call from was Nyahmi while I was brushing my teeth.

"Reba, can you come over?" she asked, her groggy voice the evidence that she had spent all night crying.

"I- Uh yeah sure. I'll stop by before work," I told her. I finished getting ready and decided I'd pick some breakfast up for us.

I made my way to Nyahmi's house in probably thirty minutes. I entered the code into the gated community of Midway Lakeshore Homes. In a few days, I'd be leaving behind my Dallas apartment and going back to my other place in Houston where I usually live, leaving the sister factory in Dallas.

I hope Nyahmi could cope well with everything that had happened yesterday with the rest of our friends and a few phone calls from me. I pulled up to her house immediately and saw her sitting outside on the curb like a side piece kicked out.

"Hey," I said from my lowered car window, pulling up on the other side of the curb. I got out and sat down next to her.

"I called Nalila over at like 1 this morning and we talked," she told me bluntly, looking down. "I know you're leaving back to Houston soon, so I figured I'd tell you this in person."

I waited for what she had to say, my mind empty. "I want us to stay friends and none of what happened yesterday to ever go on again, Reba. I think if we put some distance from each other for about a week maybe we can make some things work, friendship wise. Me and Nalila want to try at something more serious...like a relationship."

"I see," I said with a sigh, resting my face on one of my knees uncomfortably.

"Maybe I could come down to Houston one of our last days on our "friendship break"," Nyahmi said hopefully, looking at me with a smile. "Sure," I said, trying to match her energy. "I'll probably be driving back down to Houston tomorrow anyways. I'm just going out for my last day of work up here."

"How is the management out here compared to in Houston at the sister factory?"

"It's fine. More organized, but I might be working up here if the Houston factory starts getting to be too crazy," I told her. "That'd be nice," she smiled, laying her head on her own knees and looking over at me.

The breeze blew through the quiet neighborhood, barely stirring her cute little puff ball. "So, does this friendship break start today?" I asked, moving closer towards her with a soft smile, looking to distract her.

"Yes it does," Ny said, staying still.

We stared at each other for awhile.

She looked back at the house then got up. I tried to look away as she adjusted her pajama shorts out of her thick ass. "You're gonna be late for work if you don't hurry now," she commented, looking down at her Apple Watch.

"Yeah," I got up, stretching as I stood. "I'll, uh...call when I can," I told her.

I made a slow walk back to my car as I secretly watched Ny head back into the house, climbing the slight steps.

I would miss seeing Ny and old, hill-y Dallas but I needed to get back home and wait until our friendship break was over. Maybe then I could convince Ny that she didn't need some silly fem trying to be like me.

"Reba," Nyahmi called, as I was just about to get into my car.

I looked back. "Yes?"

"You know that advice you gave me yesterday. About being bothered about what everybody say?" she prompted after a moment. I nodded. "You should take it." She closed her front door behind herself, her locks softly clicking.