Chapter 1: I'm Late

"I have a zoom call in 5 minutes and you wanted to stop to get a cupcake?" I shot at my roommate, Bella, with retorts.  We speed walked down the corridor, the floor a medium shade of wood stain. As we passed a computer lab to the left and it opened into a wide open seating area. And to the right the wall was lined with windows over looking the ground level court yard. Usually it would be packed full of people in nice lively conditions. However, at the end of winter and into early spring the temperature just barely reaches the comfortable zone.

"Ryan, what class is it again?" She questioned in a defining tone while quickening her pace.  At the very back of the corridor there was a seating area sat a student help desk that was run by other students who never seemed to care enough about their jobs, and to the right another corridor that ran into a drop-off/temporary parking area.

"My Organic Chemistry class. The one that you refused to take with me." Getting more agitated I turned to look her in the eyes. "So don't give me that."

"Oh please, I think it'll be fine. 5 minutes hasn't killed anyone before."

"5 minutes could mean the difference between a C and a B on this exam."

As my little legs ran after her gazelle strides. "Oh please, your professor will probably still be taking attendance by the time you get there. That is if your even late."

My pasta stinging my fingers through the egg-carton material to-go box as I try to adjust my grip. I wedge my to-go cup between my left forearm and chest and grabbed the side of the box with my right hand and turn my attention to getting it in a different position while trying not to drop my cup. I adjusted the box and grabbed it with my left hand only for my fingers to burn even more. I attempt it once more, slowing my pace. Bella looks at me as we near the corner to turn to the nearest exit.

"Little man having problems?" She teased trying smudging her words. Her golden rimmed square glasses perfectly displayed her blue eyes as a mother that was caring for her too eager toddler who just got a toy at the market.

"Shut up." I snapped back.

We turned the corner as I'm still struggling to keep up while I play hot-potato with my to-go food. "Watch out!"

Before I knew what was happening my face ran directly into a wall of nylon fabric. Whoever it was, was tall and built like a rock. I was so focused on my pasta box I didn't even see who it was. The pasta box leaves my hand and my cup is crushed between my forearm and my chest. All at the once, my left side was covered in freezing liquid while my right shin and foot began to burn. Whoever it was deflected to my left and jumped backwards as my pasta box hit the floor wide open on the wrong side down. "Oh my god..."

With my cup still crushed under my arm and my pasta box on the floor I finally realize what was happening. I looked down to see the alfredo sauce drip down my black joggers and cover my black running shoe. And turn my head to see the entire top of my cup crushed under my arm, the lid no where to be found, and soaking through my royal blue 'North Mckinley soccer' sweatshirt. "What the actual fu-"

"Oh god, I'm sorry." A deep masculine voice with a thick accent to the left of me blurted out.

I looked over to see a towering guy with light olive skin. As he towered over me I look down to see only the remnants of my alfredo sauce on the toe of his black running shoes. His aquamarine eyes and short messy dirty blond hair with shortly trimmed sides burned itself into the back of my mind.  He held his hands like a doctor would with fresh gloves. My anger began to boil and I could feel a yelling monologue build in the back of my throat. I bit my tongue, "Oh. My. God." I closed my eyes and took a long, deep breathe. I assess the situation.