Chapter 4 - Race Day

The next day arrived quicker than Shmi would've liked. The two suns were shining through the bright blue sky. Anakin was already awake, ready for the race. He woke up his sister, bouncing on the balls of his feet, "Come on, Freya. Wake up! It's race day!"

"I know, Ani," Freya groaned, rubbing her eyes as she sat up on her bed. She pushed her overexcited brother away from her, still not fully awake yet.

"Come on! Qui-Gon has already left!" Anakin spoke cheerfully, tugging on his sister's arm to pull her out of bed.

"Ow! Ani!" she whined, pulling her arm out of her brother's grip.

"Then move it," he ordered, shaking her bed a little before running out of the room. Freya climbed out of bed and changed quickly. She then made her way down to the backyard to find Shmi, Anakin, Padme and R2, "It's about time. Come on! Let's go!"

"Can I leave him somewhere along the circuit?" Freya asked her mother only to met with a disapproving gaze.

"No, Freya!"

"Fine. We'll keep him," Freya sighed, her shoulders slumped in defeat.

***

Qui-Gon strolled through the main hangar of the Mos Espa arena, glancing around at the commotion. The hangar was filled with each podracer, the pilots and pit crews were using the time they had to check their pod or add finishing touches using the equipment provided. Dozens of pilots have made their way to Tatooine from all over the galaxy to take part in the annual race. Voices barking instructions, clangs echoed around the hanger as metal met metal. Jar Jar followed behind Qui-Gon and Watto, who flew along side him, whilst looking around at his surroundings.

"I want to see your spaceship the moment the race is over." Watto demanded, he genuinely believed that he was going to win possession of the Naboo ship. He had not once since Qui- Gon had found him at the betting booths suggested that things might work out otherwise.

Qui-Gon effortlessly protested the Toydarian, "Patience, my blue friend. You'll have your winnings before the suns set, and we'll be far away from here." Watto flew in front of the Jedi causing him to come to a stop.

"Not if your ship belongs to me, I think!" Watto laughed. His demeanour turned to serious within a blink of an eye, his eyes firmly on the Jedi. "I warn you, no funny business!"

Qui-Gon put his hands on his hips. "You don't think the twins can win?"
"Don't get me wrongo. I have great faith in the two. They're a credit to your race, but Sebulba there is going to win, I think," he replied, gesturing to the Dug sat beside his orange x-shaped racer getting a massage. The same Dug that attacked Jar Jar the day before. His eyes fixated on the Gungan who jumped to hide behind the Jedi.

"Why do you think that?" Qui-Gon asked the blue winged alien.

"He always wins!" The Toydarian laughed, "I'm betting heavily on Sebulba!" he flew around the Jedi, pushing Jar Jar as he passed him.

"I'll take that bet," Qui-Gon said immediately, crossing his arms.

Watto stopped laughing abruptly, looking at the man in shock. "You what?"

"I'll wager my new racing Pod against..." He trailed off pondering over what to say, "Against, say, the twins and their mother." Watto was stunned.

"No pod is worth three slaves, not by a long shot." Watto snapped.

"The twins, then." Watto huffed stroked his double chin, his eyebrows raised.

"We'll let fate decide. Blue, it's the twins. Red, their mother." Watto reached inside his right pocket and pulled out a small cube and rolled it between his thumb and his fingers.