CHAPTER 9

BILBO'S POV

I remembered everything.

Thalia Hazelwind.

The girl who was my childhood friend.

I remembered how we played together and had our own adventures. The sunsets we watched together. Her smile and laugh. It all came back to me. She hadn't changed a bit.

16 years since I last saw her.

10 years since I last heard her voice.

As I told her all these things, I saw tears form in her eyes. Tears of joy and happiness, I hoped.

I remembered what I said back at Bag End. "Of course I don't know her! I've never seen her in my life!" Remembering that hurt me even more. I apologized over and over.

No words came from her mouth except my name. Then, she slipped her arms around my torso and pressed her cheek to my chest. I smiled and hugged her and pulled her closer to me.

"No matter how long or how far apart we are, we will always be best friends." I whispered in her ear. Her grip tighten on my soaked shirt. I planted a light kiss on the top of her head, not knowing if she felt it or not.

I was just glad to remember at last.

THALIA'S POV

He remembers me.

It was all I care about at that exact moment.

I couldn't help myself but to hug him.
I fell asleep still in his arms.

Suddenly, I felt the ground underneath rumble slightly. I opened my eyes though it didn't do any good. It was pitch black. I squinted, trying to see through the dark to see what made the rumbling sound. ( As a half-elf, my hearing was sensitive )

Then, I saw it. The ground was splitting in two. But before I could say something, Thorin beat me to it. "Get up! Wake up!" he shouted. But it was too late.

The ground broke and we all began tumbling down a long windy tunnel. All the dwarves began yelling and shouting. I clinged to Bilbo as we swerved down the tunnel. Finally, we made it out and landed over an edge.

Both Bilbo and I rolled over the dwarves, causing Bilbo to roll over the ledge! I grabbed both his wrists just in time before he lost his grip. "Hang on!" I shouted. "Don't let go!" Suddenly, growls and snarls came from the only path and soon we were surrounded by goblins!

"Thalia," Bilbo called to me. I looked down on him. "You have to get out of here. You have to run!" I shook my head frantically. "There's no way I'm leaving you! You finally remembered me!" Bilbo smiled at me. Then, without another word, he loosen his grip on my wrists, causing him to slip through mine. I watched in horror as he fell down the chasm.

"NOOOO!!!!!" I screamed to the top of my lungs. A goblin snatched my arm and began dragging me away from the ledge. "NO! BILBO!!!" I cried, kicking and screaming. "BILBO!!!"

The goblins escorted the dwarves and I down ricketing bridges and paths. I struggled to get away but the goblin who captured me had a tight grip. My tears blinded me and my screams echoed.

Soon, we stopped and were thrown to the wooden planks. I raised myself to my hands and knees and hung my head, my hair falling in my face. More tears splashed the rotting wood. I felt Kili's arms and hands hug my shoulders. "It's ok. It's going to be ok." All I did was shake my head. No words.

The Goblin King made his appearance and made his minions search us. A goblin tried to grab me but Kili stopped it by punching it away. "Don't you dare touch her!" he yelled as two other goblins dragged him away from me. The goblin searched me and only found my bow and arrows under my cloak. He threw them in the pile of the dwarven weapons.

"Bring out bone breaker!" the Goblin King demanded. Then, Thorin spoke up. I lifted my head to see what was happening, and saw the King smirked. "I know someone," he said. "who would pay a pretty price for your head. An old enemy of yours." Thorin stared at him with disbelief.

"A pale orc. Azog the defiler!" the King announced. But Thorin to believe this Azog was still alive.

Suddenly, there was outrage over Thorin's sword, the elven one he retrieved from the trolls' cave, and the goblins began swarming us. Then, an airy explosion happened and a bright light shined.

Gandalf the Grey emerged. "Pick up arms." he instructed. "Fight. FIGHT!" And the battle between 15 companions and a billion goblins began.

I shot my arrows with accurate aim, but never wasted one on a single goblin. Instead, I shot the tall wooden structures' supports that held over 100 goblins on them. Every so often, I grabbed an arrow and stab a goblin at close range in the neck or head, then fire the same arrow at swinging ropes or structures.

We finally made it out after a huge terrifying fall and a sprint to the exit of the Misty Mountains.

Sunlight blinded my eyes for about a minute, but that didn't stop me. I tripped and began tumbling down the steep slope. I was halted by slamming my back into a large tree.

"Thalia! Are you ok?" Kili called, helping me up. But I fell back to my knees. "I'm fine." I said, jerking my arm out of his grip. "I'm...fine..." I felt new tears forming in my eyes. Bilbo, I thought.

"Where is Bilbo?" Gandalf asked. "Where is our other hobbit?" All the dwarves except for Kili shrugged and looked around as if they were searching for him. Even Thorin was confused on his disappearance.

"He fell." I said, choking back a sob. "He fell over the edge where we were first caught." I began to cry, and I covered my face with my hands. "He's gone." I whimpered over and over.

It was silent for about 2 minutes. Then, his voice appeared behind me.

"No, he isn't."

"Bilbo!" the dwarves celebrated. "We thought you were dead!" Not turning around, I breathed. "Thank goodness."

"Thalia." Bilbo's voice got closer. I didn't wait. I twisted around and wrapped my arms around his neck. "I'm so glad you're ok!" you said. We both stood up and brushed ourselves off.

Then, I punched him hard in the gut. All the dwarves did a "ooo" sound when I did. "That's for making me think you were dead!" I yelled at him. "Next time, if you fake death again, I'll make sure you stay dead myself!"

The company laughed.

But everything turned for the worse right then and there. The Warg pack had arrived.

"Out of the frying pan," Thorin gasped.

"And into the fire," Gandalf finished.

"Run!"