CHAPTER 3

BILBO'S POV

I woke up that morning thinking one word.

Dwarves.

Last night, though I really did hope was a dream, seemed almost impossible to believe. I remembered 13 of them, one being an important one, a wizard who called himself Gandalf the Grey, and a female hobbit who somehow appeared in my house.

I felt as if I'd let 15 complete strangers in my home.

Walking around in my house, I noticed nothing out of place, which should've been wrong if there was 12 dwarves prancing around like there were last night. The only thing that was cleared to me was the song.

That song made my heart beat way too fast. I remember thinking so many things at once. Past, present, and the future.

I searched my home for anything different. Then, something caught my eye. The contract.

I sprinted out the door with a full bag of all the things I thought I would need. I ran all the out of the Shire with the long contract flying in the wind in my hand. I didn't stop there, though. I crossed the borders and ran until I spotted the dwarves and wizard.

I called out to them to slow down. "Wait! Wait!" Finally, I made it. "I signed it." I declared, handing it to the oldest dwarf, Balin, I remembered.

As he was checking it, I heard a familiar unexpected voice. "Hey, Bilbo!" a female voice called out to me. I rotated my head and saw the same hobbit from last night.

"What are you doing here?" I said, walking towards her. Her dark rich brown curls were tied into a ponytail. Her soft caramel eyes had light in them. Her smile gave off excitement.

"Well, I figured since you weren't going to be the official burglar, I will." she replied. She rode a little white pony, her feet barely passing its side. "Besides it's been awhile since I've been on an adventure. Would you agree, Bilbo?"

This girl was really strange. She spoke to me as if she's known me her whole life. I didn't even know her name.

"Give him a pony." Thorin said. I snapped out of my thoughts and quickly rejected the idea. But, however, I did not get my way.

We rode for miles. Soon, it rained. All the dwarves groaned except Thorin. Gandalf didn't seemed to mind either. The one who worried me was that hobbit.

As soon as it began to pour, she hopped off her pony and skipped around and frolicked in the mud. She splashed in puddles and laughed whenever she slipped and got muddy. The other dwarves would laugh, too.

"Careful, Thalia." Kili, the youngest dwarf, called. Thalia. So that was her name. It seemed to fit her. Thalia. Where have I heard that name?

The rain soon stopped and it got dark. We stopped at a abandoned house that seemed to burn down years back. Gandalf didn't like the idea of camping here and wanted to move on but was rejected by Thorin. Gandalf stormed off on his horse.

As the sky got darker, I began to study Thalia's ways. She was a child at heart, no doubt about it. She laughed along with the dwarves and told jokes with them.

Dinner came, and Bofur handed me two bowls to take to Fili and Kili. "I'll come, too!" Thalia exclaimed. I didn't say anything and let her follow me to where the ponies were being watched.

Of course, there was a problem.