perfectly inperfect plan

MAE

Rumbling of wheels against the dirt road.

The shaking of my body as I clutched the roof of the car for some kind of balance.

The air blowing my ponytail in all different directions.

Adrenaline.

All of it. It was electrifying.

As the car Vince drove created tracks in the harsh earth, my heart beat with every second that passed. Sweat covered the palms of my hand, creating the slightest stinging sensation. But that almost made me more excited.

Thomas sat in the seat directly in front of me, holding on to the roof for stabilization as well. We were flying through the air. This was like no other car ride that I've experienced. The ones in the past have been nothing but moments for my mind to rest, and an opportunity for my body to catch up with everything I had been through. But this...this was thrilling. Exciting. I've always loved the feeling of adrenaline when it didn't mean we were running away from something. Now we were the chasers. And I loved it.

As we grew closer, I became unable to hold still. I moved my hand from its grip on the roof, and I shifted right behind Vince and Thomas. Placing my hands on either of their headrests, I spoke above the rumbling of the engine. "Vince, do you think there's any music we could play?"

His eyes never shifted from the road ahead of us as he stepped harder on the gas pedal. "Just turn on the radio, Mae. I don't care."

Rolling my eyes at his words, I leaned forward over the center console and pressed the button to the shitty radio this old Jeep had. Hearing a soft muffle from the speakers, I turned the notch up as high as it would go. Immediately, the sound of electric guitars matched my heartbeat, and I found myself smiling as I looked to Thomas, who smirked and shook his head.

"Oh, hell yes." Vince murmured, bobbing his head to the drums that played.

I never remembered hearing music, but if this is what all of it sounded like than I think I'm in love.

The loud horn of a train suddenly caught my attention, lifting my head from the electric music blaring around us. A smirk slowly made its way up my face, and I climbed over the center console carefully, hoping not to knock Thomas out of the car. He grabbed one of the loops of my jeans that sat around my waist, helping me into the front seat. I squeezed myself in next to him, looking at Vince as he glanced at me.

"Hey..." Thomas mumbled, tapping my knee to grab my attention. I turned my head towards him, and following his point to the side, where a WICKED train casually rode smoothly across the tracks, not expecting any of our plan. The smirk on my face grew, and I tapped Vince just as Thomas had done to me. He followed our gaze, turning the wheel towards the railway.

Surprisingly, this plan was going smoothly. So far...I've learned to never speak my thoughts about the idea until after we had finished it. Then, I would possibly dodge the idea of jinxing our progress. After our last adventure six months ago, I wasn't about to bring positivity into the mission until after.

Thomas fished the radio out of his back pocket, pressing the button to communicate with the team. "Brenda, we're coming up behind! Keep 'em busy!"

Just as he shoved the walkie-talkie back into his pocket, Vince grunted harshly. "Hang on!"

I looked around for anything I could hang onto, feeling my heartbeat increase as he put more pressure on the gas, moving the car even faster than before. In a moment of anxiety, I placed my hands tightly around my knees, having nothing else to hang onto in between two very large men. The music blared around us, making me feel like a badass, contrasting with the nerves in my chest.