the maze

Mae

Fear was all I felt as I placed my hands on the cold concrete walls. What did I just do? It was like my body was on autopilot when I leaped between the closing doors, almost being squished to death.

The thought of Newt's terrified eyes made its way into my mind as I turned around to face Thomas and Minho, feeling angry all of a sudden. If Thomas hadn't ran into the Maze, then I probably wouldn't have either. He just put the cherry on top for the decision I was already considering. I clenched my jaw as I launched myself towards him, gripping the collar of his shirt.

"If we don't make it out, I'm gonna kill you," I muttered, my face about an inch from his, "Do you hear me? I'm gonna kill you."

Thomas looked at me, the same amount of fear that I had showing through his eyes. I sighed and let go of his shirt, knowing that I had to stay calm.

"And I'm too upset to come up with a witty description of how I'm going to kill you, but I'm gonna do it, okay? I'm gonna—"

"You both are the shuckiest shuck-faced shucks I have ever met in the world!" Minho yelled, stomping across the ground to us. His jaw clenched as sweat and grime covered his forehead, telling me that it was no normal run in the Maze for him and Alby. The Runner pointed his fingers at Thomas and I, "You two just killed yourselves."

Thomas' eyes went wide as he stared at Minho, "W-What?"

I groaned as I stood up, walking towards an unconscious Alby. Both of the boys watched as I pointed at him, concerned but not showing it, "What happened to him?"

Minho looked down to the floor, "He was stung."

Thomas stood up and walked beside me, "How?"

"A stupid Griever, shuck-face! What do you think?" He yelled at the Greenie. I groaned and stepped in between the two, the last thing we needed was for the both of them to get into an argument. We had only a couple minutes before it turned dark, and we needed to figure out what to do quickly.

"Hey!" I called to both of them, feeling my annoyance and fear rise, "You both need to calm the shuck down! We need to get Alby somewhere before it's dark out, then we can figure out what the hell to do—"

"No," Minho breathed, turning his head and stumbling down the long corridor, "We're already dead.."

"We can't just leave him here," Thomas and I said at the exact same time, making us turn our heads to each other. Minho kept muttering words to himself as if he were waiting for something.

Suddenly, a loud monstrous cry was heard from deep within the Maze, far away from where we were now. But it was only a reminder of what would be coming if we didn't move. Minho apparently had the same idea, because he quickly walked back to me, placing his hand on my shoulder and pointing towards the Maze.

"We gotta move," He told us, losing his cool with every moment that passed. I've never seen him like this. He was always throwing sarcastic comments around, teasing anyone who deserved it... Now he looked terrified, having absolutely no hope for himself and his friends. It bothered me, but I understood. All I could do was try to help Alby and make it through the night with these two. I didn't have my inhaler, so that would be somewhat of a problem, but I found that worrying about it only made the attack stronger.

Thomas looked down at Alby's body, "Pick him up, we gotta take him somewhere."

Minho stared at him as though he had three heads, "Are you shucking crazy? I've been carrying him all day and you see where that got me! Where are we even gonna—"