────── 05.

Start from the beginning

But all too soon, the spell broke.

You blinked rapidly, frigid realization dripping down your skin like ice cold water as you turned to Huangshan, whose lips were curved diligently mid-speech.

A question burst recklessly out of your mouth. "Sorry, but could you repeat that?"

"Uh, sure." Huangshan spoke carefully, a confused expression on her face, "I said that I'd never thought you'd know someone this far out from Qingce Village, let alone a significant other. How'd you guys meet?"

You hummed absentmindedly, wayward notes from a patchwork of song weaved throughout your words. "Oh, you know, just yesterday. Under the moonlight. Wasn't much of a talker, I did most of the work-"

"Hold on, did you say yesterday?" She interrupted, disbelief coloring her voice.

You grinned cheekily and snapped the handheld mirror closed with a swift, concluding click. "Did I stutter?"

Huangshan groaned and fell back onto your pillow theatrically, a slack hand poised limply above her forehead. "You've crushed my dreams without mercy, ______. My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined."

"Don't be so dramatic. Didn't you say that merchants pass by here all the time? You can easily eavesdrop on them later." You chuckled as you slid the rounded mirror into your jacket's pocket.

"A couple of days? I thought we were leaving today."

"Well...there's been a slight change in plans. I kind of need to attend to something here." You giggled sheepishly.

"That sounds like a person who thinks that 'spontaneous' is a compliment."

"Just hear me out! I promised Little Luo that if I ever encounter him, I'll make sure to make him smile!"

Huangshan shot you an exasperated glance. "Does this have anything to do with the person you met last night?"

"Of course! I take my promises very seriously. Listen, i'm going to stay here for a week, whether you like it or not." You insisted, pressing your crossed arms to your chest.

The brunette rolled over and buried her head into your pillow, the alabaster cloth swallowing up her pinecone tresses. "Archons help me...you know what, fine. I'll stay with you. I don't have anything better to do anyways."

"Thought so. I'm far too good of a deal!" You grabbed her arms and yanked her up, a smile dancing on your lips, "Now, can I interest you in some breakfast?"

━━━━

The savory scent of poultry danced an elaborate romp with the aroma of grilled mushrooms, twirling together into a delectable, complex fragrance. A prompt tug pulled the scored fungi off its skewer and into your mouth, the residual heat lingering on your tongue as a piquant flavor coated your taste buds deliciously.

You could only catch shards of Huangshan's bold, blunt speech through the lively chatter that encompassed the early hours of Wangshu Inn, festooned with buoyancy and kissed with the first pale rays of the morning sun. Carefully, you plucked another mushroom off your Chicken and Mushroom Skewer as you strained to pick out slivers of conversation through the jovial bustle.

"I'm not sure if we'll be able to see the Rite of Descension in time if we stay at Wangshu Inn for a week, not to mention the extra expenses..."

"Rite of Descension?" You echoed, pressing your elbows against the balcony railing, "Isn't that when Rex Lapis comes down to Liyue to bestow his divine prediction for the coming year?"

Huangshan idly twirled her clean skewer between her fingers, eyes fixed on the blur of beige bamboo. "Yep, i've gone a couple of times on escort duty and it's pretty much the same every year. I just figured that you'd want to check it out since you live so far away from Liyue Harbor."

You grinned brightly and cupped your chin in your hands, the remains of your Chicken Mushroom Skewer jutting out precariously through the cracks between your digits. "Well, since you're being so considerate, I guess I don't have a choice but to attend. Might as well be a once in a lifetime experience for me."

"Oh, yeah. You're only visiting your parents, right?" Recognition flared in her dark hues as she turned to you.

"Bingo! You know me so well."

Huangshan laughed. "As well as I can for a day."

An enthusiastic bark burst in your ears like sweet, golden berries, tempting you to direct your gaze below. There, obediently sitting at Huangshan's feet, was a black and white dog, happily staring up at the guard for hire's face.

"Hi there, Richie." Huangshan grinned as she stooped down to pet the dog's head, "Not playing with Tia today?"

"Richie! Don't run off like that! I was in the middle of reading to you!"

An amused chuckle slipped from Huangshan's lips. "I guess not."

The young girl who was rapidly approaching looked to be on the verge of tears, her blue eyes curved in frustration and disappointment. One of her small hands was pressed against her sunhat and the other curled around a worn, green-bound book inscribed with gilded letters, in which you could vaguely make out as 'Vera's Melancholy'.

"Vera's Melancholy? I remember borrowing that from stingy Chang the Ninth," You murmured, squinting your eyes as you tried to piece together what you remembered of the story, "What was it about again?"

"Friend of Huangshan! You don't know what Vera's Melancholy is about? Can I read it to you?" An onslaught of questions tumbled out of the tawny haired girl's mouth as she turned to you excitedly, each charged word pummeling you like rocks.

You blinked owlishly, unprepared for the sudden inquiries. "Well, um, sure!"

Tia beamed and flipped open the book, beginning to recite the inky words written upon the thin pages. Through her delicate voice projected a world built from childlike dreams, a sleepy village which housed a girl with ambition and longing too large for its borders. Invisible wishes floated past your eyes like crystalflies, gliding on diaphanous wings, gracefully rising up and up until they were nothing but passing thoughts.

Adventure. Would it hurt if you just took its outstretched, beckoning hand?

The shocked protests from your escort behind you were brushed away by the wind, the very wind that pushed you forwards, emboldening you to go faster. The scenery melted into a medley of colors, streaking past you like strokes on an artist's canvas -- you were the paintbrush, the painter of your own path, a wish that floated on translucent, crystalline wings.

A wish suddenly grounded by a force much stronger than you.

Your breath hitched at the Geovishap Hatchling that towered over you ominously, amber claws sharp and pointed, rocky body set in an offensive stance.

Tempting the gluttonous flame of escapades was something you shouldn't have done.

━━━━

[ i don't update for two weeks,, and i come back to see 2K VIEWS?? i'm sorry but what did i do to deserve this i haven't even started on the 1k special??? um well big big thanks to Moondrinker and monotonebutterflies for helping make my writing decent hehe <33 }